Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Dynasonic Questions

Hi Rogers Guys...

Just got this drum (back) last night and want to spend some time on it. I bought this whilst in Suva in 1976 played it for about 18 years or so. I believe it would be 1975 production. I gifted it to a young pupil mid 90's and he has now gifted it back to me. (He's no longer playing and is moving to Singapore).. I think it should clean up reasonably well with just one dent behind a lug and a few minor scratches. I was surprised that it's all still there (minus the batter hoop). So my questions are..

1/ If I cannot find a suitable Rogers Rim.. what are the best alternatives..?

2/ The logo is trashed but luckily still has the serial number minus the "D", did anyone ever do repros of these Big R labels.?

3/ When I first owned it I installed a Pearl internal muffler, this worked fine at the time but I think the later models actually had a muffler fitted and it may be worth setting this right providing the same holes can be utilized.?

Cheers

John

3 attachments
'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Hello John,

Very nice drum and story. It will clean up just fine. Only clean micro-fibre towels or the chrome will scratch. Sorry not able to help on 1 or 3.

Should be able to mend/replace the logo. I can print a scan on mylar and put that on two sided adhesive. Stick that on a close match to the copper base. Or may be able to recreate the missing bit. Send a couple of pics to:

[email]cjs@lost-coast-designs.com[/email] I'll see what can be done.

Good luck on the project.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

I have the same snare with a non original batter side hoop. I've no idea what the hoop is that's on it. It just the way it came to me, but it's a good quality triple flanged hoop so I'm happy enough with it as it is. What a great snare! Nice tat it was gifted back to you like that. Hope you can back to playing it soon.

Posted on 9 years ago

Creighton... amazing that you could do that... I will no doubt take you up on that offer/deal...

Some of the remaining decal is also lifting from the backing so I think I need to re-adhere it back, then remove the whole decal intact in order to get a decent scan of it... I'll be in touch asap.. Guess if that fails I could find another image online and then deal with the serial number as a separate issue..

Thanks so much for your response..

Cheers

John

Posted on 9 years ago

Hi John,

Easy stuff so no worries. Are you planning on taking the badge/decal off? Would make it easier to recreate/mend but if not I understand. So reread your post. Is this stuck to the shell under the groment? (gave up on spelling that).

If so just take some pics and send. Best to not cause any further disturb at this point :-)

Forgot, SN# is just part of the outer layer so no biggie.

This will be fun.

Creighton

Posted on 9 years ago

A 6.5 drum with no dampener? Very, very, rare.

Having done this research myself...... I have never seen one. But here is what I can tell you about it. The five digit D series badge are the earliest Big R era drums, late 1975- early 1976. The lower numbers being the earliest, and these built on Oval Badge era shells. The badge is located in the first panel to the right of the throw, oval badge screw holes are present. For 5x14 models, in the high 14000 range, the oval shells ran out, and the new Big R No Dampener shell began to be used. For 6.5 models, this was in the mid 20,000 range.... right where your number is. But, your drum does not have a dampener. It is the first 6.5 drum I have seen without one. Now, numbers were not dedicated to Snares as with the Oval "Dyna-Sonic Custom Built" badge era. Big R numbers were used on all drums without regard to sequence or drum. Five digit D badges are found into the 42,000 range. The next badge series begins D600000-D610000. Then D700000. I have not seen a SIX digit badge without a dampener present, only on the five digit badges.

And yours is the first 6.5 without a dampener that I have seen.

Five digit badges are prone to losing the facing due to it delaminating from the vinyl backing.

Holes are holes, and your drum was sent from the factory without a dampener. Utilize whatever will work.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks Ploughman... Interesting (or maybe not) that you would input the thread.. as last night I was looking at your page and actually downloaded your dating pdf file in order to check what I had.. Well as I said, it now has a dampener but a Pearl (I think), that I installed almost 40 years ago. My placement of the damper would have been based only upon my preferences I guess..

Here's another shot before I get started..

Thanks for the further info

Cheers

John

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Creighton.. Sorry missed your last posting... I thought it would be necessary to scan in.. but If pics would work I'll get some off to you .. How's about dimensions etc...

Tell me what works for you..

Cheers

John

(And yes it is under the grommet)...

Posted on 9 years ago

I would like to find one just like it....... for myself. I am trying to hunt down all of the Big R period variations for the Dyna-Sonic.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

John,

Pics are fine. If you can get your camera to do 600 dpi or better that helps. Dimensions help as well. Just outside the rest will scale.

If anyone has a complete badge they care to share would speed this up.

Thanks!

Creighton

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here