Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

dynasonic question

I currently have a late 60's COB dynasonic (Script logo), which,suprise suprise does not have the original snare frame.

I have been told (on this forum) that it is essential for me to find a replacement snare frame.

In the mean time , I have "retro fitted" the snare and placed regular gibraltar snares on the snare, and it sounds amazing!!!! I think I like the sound even better than my '65 supraphonic.

I have been researching the snare frames, and have noticed that there are 2 different types of frames. Generally speaking the 60's model, and the 70's (Big R) model.

SO...my question is...Do I have to stick with the '60's snare frame, or can I use the later model?? I know it might decrease the value by putting the wrong era frame on, but I am a player first, and a collector 2nd, so I need to know if it is even possible to use the later model.

If anyone has a reply, please be very specific, and please keep the points I made in mind. Thanks!!!!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago

PK Drums...

Is it essential to have the snare frame in place on a Dynasonic? Well... NO!... but without it, all you have in essence is a COB SuperTen. And as you have found out/heard, the drum still sounds pretty darn good... but... to play a Dynasonic and experience the ultimate in snare response and sensitivity, the snare frame should be in place on the drum... which brings us here:

You DO NOT have to stick with the 60's style snare frame. The "newer" model frame will work just fine, and, those are a lot easier/cheaper to get. The Dynasonic snare frames show up on eBay with regularity... a lot of them OEM in the newer style. If you want to get the drum together and up and running RIGHT NOW, you can contact Dave Drew at "Al Drew Music" in Woonsocket, RI. Dave sells the Dynasonic frames brand new for around $79.00. Or, you can also find Dave on eBay. His username is: aldrewmusic He has auctions running right now, and there may even be a Dynasonic snare frame. Also,

When you have all your parts, you can refer to an article I wrote which David has featured on the HOME PAGE of the www.vintagesnaredrums.com site... How to set up a Rogers Dynasonic. This will get you and your drum in the proper area/range for best performance... then you can tweak to taste. Enjoy!!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

thanks, that helps!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here