Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

DW Brass Restore / Repair....

Here is one that I completed for forum member Slingalud. When I received the shell. it looked like it had been "cleaned" with a chemical at some point, or had just weathered and lost a good portion of it's outer coating. I had to buff it on my wheel for quite a while to cut away the rest of the outer coating. I think it was brass coated. I was able to bring it to a nice clean shine on the wheel, and clean up the inside just a bit. I then worked over the outside quite a few more times with a hand held buffer before clear coating it for protection, then wet sanding and buffing it once or twice more. It doesn't look like it did. I don't think it looks like it ever did. but there was no way to save the original finish. So this was one of the options. What do you guys think? I think it looks like something I would be happy to have in my collection!!

First pic is a before, the second pic is after the buffing and cleaning, but before the clear, and the last picture is after the clear and assembly.

Thanks, Ryan

Posted on 11 years ago

Great job. I agree with you probably after what ever was done to the shell was not reversible unless you were to re plate it. Great job!!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

it looks much shinier before the clear coat, but a beautiful job none the less.

Posted on 11 years ago

hi

which stuff did you used to clean brass shell?

i have pearl brass snare needed to clean and polish too.

which clear coating?

thx

My Lover's
Camco-Tama 22,16,12,13 (Bought 2013)
Ayotte drumsmith Burgandy (Bought 2011)
Leedy Black Oster 65s-66s (Bought 2010)
Ludwig Red Sparkel club date 60's (Bought 2010)
DW Broken Glass 2003 (Bought 2005)
Posted on 11 years ago

As the former owner of that drum I say CONGRATULATIONS! Those early DWs were brass shells from Gon Bops that were clear coated rather poorly and with what, I don't know. Again, good job!

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 11 years ago

It's a great sounding snare drum and both Ryan VonR and Orangemi deserve a huge thanks for one I will treasure. This one and the Piano Black Camco Concert Aristocrat reproduction will be the base pieces I will alternate using with the Prog Rock Camco kit. I think it might be as bright as before the clear coat. It might be just the lighting and poor camera skills. Also the lugs have black gaskets which could play a part in darkening it up when photographed. I don't know for sure...

Posted on 11 years ago

What a beautiful drum, Slingalud! Ryan did a fantastic job! This is one of the prettiest musical instruments I have ever seen. I play with a DW foot pedal but, aside from that I have never had the honour of sitting down and actually playing a DW kit. I just keep repeating superlatives but, this drum is gorgeous!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Brian! From what I know of the history, The Brass DW was purchased at the same time in 1981 with a DW 6x14" 10L, 6/6ply Keller shelled snare drum. Now that they are both back together I would like to keep it that way.

Posted on 11 years ago

Man. Can you post a sound clip of this snare?

1960-61 ludwig sky blue pearl 22/16/12
1967 ludwig acrolite snare
1972 ludwig vistalite clear 22/14/13/14 matching snare
1970's MIJ tempro pro snare
Posted on 11 years ago

From jordanlawrence

Man. Can you post a sound clip of this snare?

Jordan, when both the Oaklawn's and the L.A. era Prog sets are finished I will post a YouTube comparison between the Oaklawns and the L.A. era drums. The snare drums also..Sadiethebaglady or Weston Hodges did the best comparison I have seen to date on youtube. (It is still up on YouTube and was covered in a previous thread) His 73 Luddy's, 3ply Slingerlands and the new Ludwig Legacy Classics were demo'd with the same size drums, same heads, and with identical tuning. He did a fantastic job and I will attempt to post one using his video as the template on how a comparison should be done. Instead of 2ply coated Emperors, The Camco's will have clear Ambassador batter heads.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here