Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Duplex Snare Drum

I have had a Duplex snare drum for many years. It has just been sitting in storage, and never used since I got it, maybe 30 or more years ago. I am now downsizing and this is one, of many items, that I will be getting rid of.

The drum is 16" diameter and about 7 3/8" high, has 10 lugs, and 12 strand snare. The body is made of some kind of metal, to which a magnet will not stick. The metal is rather dull and almost has sort of a dirty look. I have not attempted to polish or otherwise clean the body. It does not look like stainless to me. The rims appear to be rosewood. Heads are original, one intact, the other split.

I would appreciate any information that anyone might be able to give me about this drum, such as age, what type of metal, possible value, etc.

Thank you very much.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Wow, dude. That's a pretty cool old drum.....what a strange size !

if it's in good shape, you have something which may be worth a bit to a Duplex collector.

Go to eBay, and do an advanced search for completed listings Duplex Snare.

It may give you an idea of the market value.

I would say if you cleaned it up and if everything was working decently and the shell and hoops are in decent shape, it may be worth a few bill$.

$300 maybe.

The ? is the size. It's very unusual . But whether that makes iit more collectible or less, I dunno.

Oh, also ask John Aldridge from NSMD magazine (not so modern drummer)...he knows a lot about these old guys. [email]nsmdjohn@aol.com[/email] (but that address may be outdated)

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I understand that the most valuable of the Duplex drums are those that were made of aluminum. The body of my Duplex snare drum is made of some sort of metal, to which a magnet will NOT stick. Did Duplex use any other metal, besides aluminum, that will not hold a magnet? What other metal might this be if not aluminum? Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here