Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Duke Kit Details

Hey Everyone,

I got the DUKE kit today. I took some pictures. They aren't the best, but here are some details:

The kit is indeed 20/12/12/14 with the matching 14 inch snare. All of the hardware appears to be original to me. The Ts and Claws are all there, all of the rods have their washers, all of the hoops match, the bass drum hoop inlays are all there, the wrap is in really nice shape, the mufflers all match and aren't missing any parts, the snare throw works great and is indeed a "dual" type of adjustment system (adjustable butt). Minor scratches/minor rust or pitting here and there on the finish and metal parts but they are easily fixable. The floor tom legs are all original as well as all the thumb screws. Both of the bass drum folding spurs have their rubber booties as do all 3 legs on the floor tom.

The lugs and hoops need a good cleaning, but there isn't a ton of pitting. Mostly just gunk from years of dust and sweat. The heads are questionable. It seems like the bottom snare head, both bass drum heads, and the bottom head on one of the 12 inch toms are original. The combo of heads they chose as replacement are pretty funny. Power Stroke 3 clear with clear dot on the RESO of the floor tom, and a pinstripe reso on one of the 12s. The tom batters are all Evans Genera G2 clears in decent shape. I am definitely going to put some coated heads on the batters and clears on the resos. The snare batter is a REMO Legacy LA with Reemlar. Never heard of that sort of head before. Anyone?

The drums sound.......really good actually. I didn't spend much time tweaking them. Just set it up as a 4 piece (it is really hard to get both toms up comfortably with the rail mount system) and ball parked them. They look like 6 ply shells. Definitely Luan. I am excited to get them tuned up with some good heads.

As for extras, this is where I think I really scored on this deal. The set came with cases, and the cases appear to me to be late 70's or early 80's Ludwig hard cases. I am not sure, and will post in the USA section about them, but all (but one) of the cases has the blue and olive Ludwig logo sticker in the corner, and the one that doesn't appears to be a custom case. It fits BOTH 12 inch toms stacked on top of one another. Inside that case it says: "Manufactured by The House Of Quality Chicago Illinois" and has the exact same buckles, straps, and handles as the Ludwig cases. SO the cases are vintage Ludwig 14x20/6.5x14/14x14 and 18 or sox12 that might just be lacking the sticker.

The kit also came with a cool Ludwig throne. Kind of a "two up one back" tri-pod sort of design. I dig it, but it isn't super adjustable. I am guessing 70's on that one. The stands are: Modern Tama swivel leg hi hat stand in like new condition, an old Camco flat base cymbal stand that has sort of a curved top tube. Never saw that before. The other flat base stand is a no namer. The cymbals are 18 inch KINGSTON, 16 inch KRUT, and 14 inch Ludwig Standard By Paiste (Germany).

All in all, I am stoked. Here are some pics. I will put some more on separate posts below.

-Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some more pics. I will get better ones when I get a chance to get em cleaned up and outdoors in the sun.

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Aw man, you got the Rapid Strianier! And yes, it is actually called that in the Star catalog, from about 67, I think....BRB...

OK, I forgot what I was doing.... http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/images/Star/1967A-4.jpg go here, you can find as much fun as your little heart desires..... As for tuning...let me say this again: you should take some 220 grit sandpaper and close the grain, and maybe soften the edges, then treat them. The interiors were factory paint, btw. Wow, anyway, sand the edges only to close up the grain if they are sounding good on the current edge contour. If you decide to sand the edges, first tape the outside where the wrap is close with blue tape to avoid damage to the wrap.

You can use Attack heads for the resos on these. They are really cheap at http://www.americanmusical.com And if you find it here, zZounds will make it cheaper for the exact same instock items...accordcing to Blake, the coated Ambassadors are the best bet for tops. I am ronning EC2s, but they are on my 3 ply shells. Man....if you ever get rid of them....And I don't even like Satin Flame, until this set.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Jonni!

Yeah. It is a real sweet kit. I will definitely check out the edges when I clean em up and re-head them. Right now they look pretty good and sound super nice. Not sure that they really need much work. Will definitely check into it tho.

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: If I ever decide to part with them I will let you know for sure. I was never a fan of the Satin Flame finishes either, but this one looks really cool. It's just something about the lug style...the placement of the wrap so that the bends are just in the right spots...I don't know. I totally dig it.

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

+3!!! I've never been into Satin Flame finishes, either, but this set looks amazing! That's the nicest strainer/butt set-up I've seen on a MIJ snare. The whole set looks terrific!

As for the heads, Ambassadors are good, depending on the sound you want, but coated Emperors tend to be my favorites on MIJ drums (for toms. I like PS3s for BDs.) And I agree with John, the Attack heads are great for resos (and cheap!)

Dont forget the Gibraltar Floating Floor Tom Feet and the 3-in-1 oil for the t-rods!

Very nice score! My complextion seems to be getting... [COLOR="DarkGreen"]greener[/COLOR]???

Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

+3!!!Dont forget the Gibraltar Floating Floor Tom Feet and the [SIZE=4][COLOR=red]3-in-1 oil [/COLOR][/SIZE]for the t-rods!Very nice score! My complextion seems to be getting... [COLOR=darkgreen]greener[/COLOR]???

Go to Mal-Mart and in the HBA or babies area, you can find a bottle of mineral oil, labeled "Intestinal Lubricant", a larger more economical substitution for 3-in-1 and the same exact thing for about the same money. Not in the coolio little can, but it is a much larger container. And you can find little squirty bottles in the HBA area for those short overnighter trips to the girlies house, you know? Like the little bottles for the TSA airline stuff....this is a good alternative to the can for spitting it out in smaller amounts and in a controlled fashion...man, am I a geek for cleaning parts or what? All these tools and parts and knowing what little details..man I just realiized that fact...I'm fgeeling a little queasy now.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words about the kit guys! I am really happy with it!

I already have some 3 in 1 at home, but I will definitely look into this "intestinal lube" thing that Jonni knows so much about for some strange reason that I hope remains secret! Laughing H

Just kiddin. Sounds like a great idea. I checked out those aquarian heads last night. 18 bucks for 14 heads is a pretty great deal, and I am sure they sound as great as you guys say.

I am probably still going to go with Evans G2 Coated heads for the tops though. I love those heads and use them on virtually every kit I own.

Thanks again for all the input and hi-fives on the kit. I am really stoked that I found such a cool one for my first MIJ buy!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Lets keep talking about how awesome my new kit is. That was fun yesterday.

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

hehehehe...anyway, I didn't see any Aquarian heads for 18 bucks....where was that? I think you are mis-reading, those are ATTACK drumheads and they are great for resos, but it is a 5 pack, including the bass head, and it is a good head, but you can get the pack minus bass, but that bass head is a single ply with no overtones and is a really good head. The pack with bass is 30.

On a side note, I found in the Goodwill today, our local store just moved into a new place, a full set of Ludwig heads, BRAND NEW!!! for .....$3.00. 16-13-12 and snare batter. No bass or snare side, but 3bucks for new set of heads is a great deal, any day.

[COLOR=red]So, where is that Aquarian listing?[/COLOR]

From thisbright14

Thanks for all the kind words about the kit guys! I am really happy with it! I already have some 3 in 1 at home, but I will definitely look into this "intestinal lube" thing that Jonni knows so much about for some strange reason that I hope remains secret! Laughing H Just kiddin. Sounds like a great idea. I checked out those aquarian heads last night. 18 bucks for 14 heads is a pretty great deal, and I am sure they sound as great as you guys say. I am probably still going to go with Evans G2 Coated heads for the tops though. I love those heads and use them on virtually every kit I own. Thanks again for all the input and hi-fives on the kit. I am really stoked that I found such a cool one for my first MIJ buy! -Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

My bad:

Its attack heads for 18 bucks. I dont know why I always do that. I mistake attack for Aquarian.

Sorry.

I got some original 60's ludwig batters for real cheap like that once too. I bought this 60's Camco flat base Hi-hat stand for 15 bucks from this guy and he was like...I have these heads laying around here...unused. You want them? For free? I couldnt believe it!

Ad

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here