Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Duco finishes

Hi.

Not asking this for any particular reason. I have been looking all over ebay. sometimes you find nice drums in DUCO finishes that are very worn.

what i wonder is: what do people normally do with f***ed up Duco finished? Re-Paint? remove to natural finish? leave it like it is?....... just curious...

Posted on 15 years ago

My son (he's 12) and I are arguing/debating this tonight. We just picked up a late 30's early 40's Radio King that was originally silver and blue duco that someone had painted red. I removed all the paint today and prepped the shell for something...my son wants to either just seal the wood and leave it natural or put a light stain on it. I want to either repaint the original duco paint scheme or paint it gloss black which I believe was a color choice back then..I'm leaning towards black.

Cya,

Mike

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I think September must be DUCO MONTH here at VDF !!!!!

Cool Dude

If the finish is really going or gone, yeah....you can usually pick 'em up cheap and either remove the paint and refinish 'em in some sort of wood finish (stain/lacquer or go with a multiple-coat oil finish like tung oil or such)....it's just that sometimes, shells inteded for painting or wrapping didn't have the best seams or grains going for 'em because...well...they were gonna get covered. Another issue which arises is that sometimes it almost impossible to get all of the paint out of the grain.

...Or yes, you can wrap the shells. But BEWARE....if you wrap 'em, you will likely need to choose a thin wrap like a Pearl or such....because thicker wraps like Sparkle or Glitter can cause head fit problems.

Duco shells were a tad wider in diameter than wrapped shells back then....since they were never intended to have wrap. So....you gotta see how much play the heads have before you go ahead and wrap.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here