Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Dry Shells

I was wondering if there was anything I should put on very old shells to keep them from getting to dry. I would not want one of these old shells to crack from being to dry. Is this something I should be worried about?

Posted on 13 years ago

If they are very old and have not cracked or show problems yet, guessing they will not in the future unless you expose them to big/fast changes in humidity.

Posted on 13 years ago

Dry shells are a good thing...they will resonate more. Like the previous poster said, don't expose them to the elements too much but otherwise they should last many more years to come.

Cuttle

Posted on 13 years ago

Ya might try Natural Bees wax,..I use it on the inside of mine to keep moisture out. Don`t be alarmed by how dark and wet it looks after apply`n it,..after 24 hours, it looks like you did nothing, it dries completely clear and has no sheen. I use a white crayon on the edges. Try it on a scrap wood to see if ya like it.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

If it worries you, you can always try one of those acoustic guitar humidifier things that you put in the case....

Posted on 13 years ago

I am just inexperienced and would rather ask now than be sorry later. Any helpful tips are appreciated in any area of the vintage drum field!

Posted on 13 years ago

It is a good question you've asked. A lot of people wonder about this one. There are several things you can do. MI is cold and has lots of dehumidifiers. The houses tend to run warm and dry. The air tends to run dry. Try to keep them out of the elements and away from basements.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here