Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

drums mij '60s

thousands of drummers my age (54) started out on those made in japan stencil kits, so there's a special place in our hearts for them. yeah, they sounded like crap back then, but it was mostly because we didn't know how to properly tune drums or that good heads (Remo was the only choice back them) made all the difference. I've put together a few kits of that vintage found here and there just to try to re-create my old 1967 Majestic kit which was a Slingerland knockoff right down to the lug design. I own some great 70s vintage Ludwig steel chrome over maple drums, but they are very heavy and I really don't like gigging with them as they are valuable and too heavy, so I bust out the MIJ sparkle kits. I can make them sound very good and they have been cleaned and polished to gleaming. These are lauan shells that have dried out after 30-40 years to the point where they really sustain and cover the full spectrum of highs, mids and lows according to how I tune them. Some I've found in the trash and restored, some I found on ebay and paid a good price for. They are worthy drums if you know what you are doing. Don't knock them until you hear a well tuned mij kit with good heads on them. and the wraps were out of this world! love those satin flame wraps!

Posted on 12 years ago

I have a few MIJ kits here. One is a red sparkle that I will restore and keep. The other had really bad wrap issues so I removed them and sprayed an orange copper sparkle finish on them. They are good drums to experiment with my finishes because they were cheep, actually darn near free. My third kit was sold to keep the drum hunt alive. But before I sold it I had new heads on them and they did sound pretty good. I am waiting for the day I come across one of the funky wraps but for now its red sparkle.

Thank you,

Jeff C

BTW, Im not even close to 50. (49.5)

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

I totally agree. I have 4 MIJ sets (2 Pearl, 1 Star and a 68 Yamaha) as well as a Ludwig and a Hayman. I use the MIJ kits for gigging as they are not as precious but I also don't think I lose anything in the sound department. I'll happily record with them too. And to my eyes they look fantastic.

You are right too about the lightness - I'm over lugging heavy kits around, lifes too short for that.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 12 years ago

From vintagedrummer53

thousands of drummers my age (54) started out on those made in japan stencil kits, so there's a special place in our hearts for them. yeah, they sounded like crap back then, but it was mostly because we didn't know how to properly tune drums or that good heads (Remo was the only choice back them) made all the difference. I've put together a few kits of that vintage found here and there just to try to re-create my old 1967 Majestic kit which was a Slingerland knockoff right down to the lug design. I own some great 70s vintage Ludwig steel chrome over maple drums, but they are very heavy and I really don't like gigging with them as they are valuable and too heavy, so I bust out the MIJ sparkle kits. I can make them sound very good and they have been cleaned and polished to gleaming. These are lauan shells that have dried out after 30-40 years to the point where they really sustain and cover the full spectrum of highs, mids and lows according to how I tune them. Some I've found in the trash and restored, some I found on ebay and paid a good price for. They are worthy drums if you know what you are doing. Don't knock them until you hear a well tuned mij kit with good heads on them. and the wraps were out of this world! love those satin flame wraps!

Could not agree more. After 40 years in the attic these old MIJ kits can really sing if you put on the right heads and tune 'em up right.

Georgia Phil Custom Drumworks
https://www.GeorgiaPhil.com

Drum Wrap, Drum Heads, Drum Accessories
https://www.StuffForDrummers.com
Posted on 12 years ago

Yep. You guys are right. My first complete set was a battered Stuart in some kind of a brown swirl. I really don't remember. This was 1965 or so. I'm guilty of throwing that kit into a van and heading off to a $30.00 gig. I didn't care at that time about wrap scratches, polished chrome, correct heads or even tuning. If I could keep a half decent beat, that's all that mattered.We were in it for the girls back then! Now, I have three sets of Stars which I baby on a daily basis. I still play but, I really don't care too much about how much the gig is worth. Nowadays, it's for the fun! I guess that's why I love these old MIJ's so much. They are a part of my youth. I wish I could go back at times.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

I think all of us who came up in the 60s and early 70s had a MIJ set.

I had a typical Blue Sparkle set from Sears Roebuck. Then I moved on to Gretsch , but i still have a soft spot in my heart for the old MIJ sets. And one thing is ture...you will find wrap colors on those MIJ sets that you will NEVER find on a quality set. Its worth buying just for the funky wrap colors.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Retrosonic

I think all of us who came up in the 60s and early 70s had a MIJ set.I had a typical Blue Sparkle set from Sears Roebuck. Then I moved on to Gretsch , but i still have a soft spot in my heart for the old MIJ sets. And one thing is ture...you will find wrap colors on those MIJ sets that you will NEVER find on a quality set. Its worth buying just for the funky wrap colors.

Yup, I'll never forget my first. Mixed brand jellybean of red, blue, and orange sparkle plus a purple swirl Olympic snare.

Georgia Phil Custom Drumworks
https://www.GeorgiaPhil.com

Drum Wrap, Drum Heads, Drum Accessories
https://www.StuffForDrummers.com
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here