Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Drums From Yesterday...Today??

A recent post about a Frank Wolf snare got me thinking. Well I should say it progressed my thinking.For the past year I have contemplated starting up my own custom drum company. But one of things that has stopped me is what could I do different.There are so many small companies and most do the same things as the big names,and some have already thought of things such as a solid shell snare cut out from a tree.So what I have been contemplating is this. Making drums like how they were in the early 70's and before...but with modern technology.Making old style strainer systems...that are more reliable ( prime example the old Kent Strainers that always broke ) making rail mounts for kits and as replacement parts for vintage kits. I know DW makes some...but they cost an arm and a leg.And from looking at most of mine ( from the few I have ) they don't look like they should cost $200. So my question is do you think this could be a good idea? Do you think people today would buy a two to one snare ( like the frank worlf with 12 lugs on top and 6 on the bottom )? And this way to for people who like Vintage drums who maybe can't always spend what some go for can get a modern vintage looking kit with all the new trimmings ( rubber between the lugs and shell,laquer,new wrap,rim mounts " if desired " from a rail or clip mount etc etc... ) Tell me what you guys think. We are all lovers of vintage gear on this forum and I would love to hear input from fellow vintage enthusiasts. Thanks.The Band

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Ok let me try this again. I tried once and POOF!!! GONE!!! Alright, as far as trying to "bring back the old drums"................ it's been done. The original manufacturers had done it and more than likely own a patent on the product. I do know of a couple of local guys that do make drums and if you thought DW was expensive ................ double or triple their price!! It costs them a ton of money just to make the drums and they in turn have to charge a huge amount just to make a few hundred dollars. I'll include a pic of my current set to give you an example of what is to follow. Everyone is going after the vintage look right now. Mapex, Tama, Pearl .... pretty much all the big names are doing it. Mapex has Vanilla Cream Pearl wrap ......... which looks just like a WMP drumset from the 50's or 60's and has yellowed over time. ( my set ) All the hardware has rubber between it and the wrap. SIzes are 24x18, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16 and a 14x6.5 snare. (heads first) All 100% maple. They also have a wrap called Black Chrome Pearl .......... we know it as Black Marine Pearl. My suggestion is, sit down and really try to come up with something that makes your drums completely different from anyone else's. I have an idea I'm working on. but has to do with hardware. I'm looking into any patents that may exist that would prevent me from marketing the hardware I have come up with. So far so good. I'm in no way trying to burst your bubble. I encourage to follow your dreams!! I'm trying and it's hard work but I know I'll get it!!! You will too!!! Let me know when you make a set. I'll give them a shot!!! Let me know how much. Take Care!! Good Luck!!

Posted on 18 years ago

I will tackle this question even though it can be answered in a variety of ways. I'm never one to deter anyone that has a passion or goal to be something or create something that they love.

I would say currently the custom drum market is flooded with different people making and creating drums.

Many of them never start an official company, but enjoy building drums and selling them as they build them.

There is much debate on the different types of drum builders and what or who is a custom builder and who is an assembler of components and ......

So let's leave that alone for the moment and take your concept and say anything is possible and anyone can do something if they set their mind to it.

Money is the key component to design hardware, so that is why many builders use strainers and lugs that are currently on the market. Many shells come from the same suppliers and so does the finishes etc..

There are 2 or 3 people making rails besides DW and they are rather expensive and it has to do with the fact they will not be selling that many. With suspension mounts being the standard on most drums there is not a high calling for rails and it really hits a certain generation of players. So they will never sell thousands and order small quantities which of course will bring the price up.

From what I have gathered being around the business for many years, very few independent people and drum builders are actually making substantial money in the business and it has to be a labor of love.

They are getting by and happy with that. I think most people are just happy with getting by and don't necessarily have the dream to make millions quick.

Hope that helps in some way and never give up on a dream!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. And webmaster your right the market is flooded with numerous companies.But with things like a rail mount I could easily make brakets at home from sheet metal and metal dowels that can easily be bent.I guess more or less I want to create things that havn't been seen for ages. Like the two to one snare,there was a series of drums pearl made in the ( 70's I believe ) where it was a shell with a roto tom inside ( was pretty cool looking ) if nothing else that would be an interesting series of snares. Maybe its just my nastalgia for vintage gear and the odd ball and unique gear that has me talking.In any event I know I still have some thinking to do.But if I think of anything else i'll run it by you guys and see what you think.I should probably also find a way to do market research and see if people ( and how many ) would actully buy a modern kit with vintage trimmings.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

Definately give it a shot!! What's the worst thing that could happen? You wind up keeping "your drum"? It's never worth wondering, "what if" unless you try it. You do have some cool ideas. One thing I do have to say is, DW has now started using the rail type mounts again for the upper toms. But don't let that scare you off. One thing most of the drum manufacturers do not have is ....... 1 man that takes pride in HIS product, mainly because it not really his. Sure Yamaha can say they have only 7 people that make their Absolute Custom series ......... but personally I think 1 man and his dream is the one that will build the better product!! Yes Sir

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here