Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

DrumMate: restauration project

Hello,

I have a question coming up during the restauration process.

How can I solve the problem with a piece of wrap, that's gone loose and sticks out for 0.5 cm?

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/DrumMate01.jpg[/IMG]

What kind of glue can I use (please consider a more general information, as US-brand names may not be available here in Germany)?

How can I force the wrap back to the surface? Is a hair-dryer (used carefully ...!) ok to bend the heated wrap back again?

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

>Is a hair-dryer (used carefully ...!) ok to bend the heated wrap back again?

NO! A hair dryer or heat gun is what you use to -remove- wrap! You don't want to further loosen the glue bond by applying heat. Counter productive.

It's a simple fix. All you need is a couple of clamps and a piece of wood to use to press the wrap against the shell while the glue is drying.

Remove heads/rims/adjacent lugs/mounts/hardware next to the seam.

1. Apply a piece of masking tape along the edge of the seam (opposite the lifted part of wrap.) Just mask off the surface of the drum so no glue migrates (squeezes-out) onto the good wrap when you clamp down the edge.

2. Common 'fast bonding glue' (crazy glue) will do the trick. Apply a bead along the underside of the lifted/curled edge.

3. Lay the strip of wood over the lifted seam and clamp it down on both ends and in the middle if you have a clamp that is long enough to reach. Make sure the strip of wood is -flush- with the edge of the wrap, not directly over the seam, or you will glue the splint of wood to the shell!

4. Allow 24 hours for it to cure hard before removing clamps.

The seam won't come up again for another 20 years. Best of luck with your project.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

You can also put packing tape on the block of wood to insure 100% that it doesn't stick to your wrap.

Posted on 13 years ago

From fishaa

You can also put packing tape on the block of wood to insure 100% that it doesn't stick to your wrap.

+1 Clapping Happy2

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

Woodn`t that leave the packing tape stuck ??

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

From fishaa

Or wax paper....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give it a try.

Donothorpe

Posted on 13 years ago

You too, Donothorpe?! Cool1

But I like to thank you all for your detailed and very helpful ideas as well.

I will try it with 'Pattex Compact Gel' then. Something to be said against this adhesive?

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here