Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Drumhead question

So, I've got a tom that's slightly out of round and because of this the head fits very tightly on the drum. I'm worried that it might be choking the tone of the drum. I usually use Remo heads, but I seem to remember someone saying that either Evans or Aquarian heads are over-sized and are a better fit on vintage drums with this problem. Does anyone know anything about this?

Posted on 15 years ago

I've used Aquarian Modern Vintage Heads, which are slightly over-sized, and have been very satisfied with them.

Posted on 15 years ago

From OldSchool

I've used Aquarian Modern Vintage Heads, which are slightly over-sized, and have been very satisfied with them.

I think you mean Aquarian AMERICAN Vintage heads....those are the slightly oversize ones. :)

Another consideration is to try Ludwig's weathermaster heads. They seem to have a thinner hoop than most and don't seem to encounter this problem.

Posted on 15 years ago

I checked the Aquarian website and it looks like the American Vintage and Modern Vintage heads are basically the same. Are they not? Also, should I use those on the resonant side as well? I wish they came in clear, too. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll probably try them out.

Posted on 15 years ago

From Pennypacker

I checked the Aquarian website and it looks like the American Vintage and Modern Vintage heads are basically the same. Are they not? Also, should I use those on the resonant side as well? I wish they came in clear, too. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I'll probably try them out.

They are the same series of heads, but the American series are slightly oversize for the older vintage drums such as Gretsch. The Modern series are for any drums basically made from the mid 60's on up to today. They only offer them in a "calfskin" like textured finish. You can use them for reso heads as well. They are about the same thickness as Remo Ambassadors. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here