Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Drum wrap query

hi,

Has anyone tried these wraps being advertised on Ebay? Obviously they're not a replacement for proper vintage wraps but for a modern replacement are they any good?

www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-SILVER-SPARKLE-DRUM-WRAP-CREDIT-CARD-THICK-YET-VERY-FLEXIBLE-/221616397362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33995ddc32

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago

I have not tried this, but I wouldn't even waste my time. Looks to me like it's just sparkle vinyl, which is what they used for old bar stools and diner seating.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

Gerald - Although the price may be attractive, when it comes to drum wraps it really is a case of, 'you get what you pay for.' Save your money for a Delmar wrap. It'll last for decades. That other ebay stuff, who knows? A year? Two? Then you're right back where you started. Spending more money... better to buy the best.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

I agree with both responses above . I am not sure why people even bother with the cheap alternatives even on an inexpensive set . Quality wrap is not really that much dough nor rocket science to install .

Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the your insight guys. I was considering this for my '92 Rocker kit. The original metallic grey wrap isn't in great condition but I always thought it a rather dull colour. I quite fancied a black sparkle, something with bit of 'pazazz'!

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 9 years ago

Assuming it's the sparkle upholstery fabric, I used it on my CB700/Maxwin dumpster rescue kit.

I think it's a useful alternative for rescue kits. I got enough of the stuff to do a 5-piece with plenty left over for $50.

As far as ruggedness, they use the stuff on barstools and restaurant booths, so it's VERY rugged.

As far as attractiveness, I used the "mint" or "pistachio" color, and I invariably get compliments on it when I play the set out.

For anything but a stencil kit, though, I don't think it's appropriate. It's great to slap on the heavily stickered and spray painted '80's metallic wine red CB700 set that your neighbor has had in their garage since the last time that TOXIC DEMOCRACY played, the party before Jerry left for the Air Force.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here