Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Drum setups

As I have read many of the threads on here, I am quite sure the majority of membership to this particular site are accomplished musicians. I believe the spirit of this site to focus around vintage drums and the guys who play those would probably tend to not be beginners. With all this said, I would much rather get advice from here rather than Pearl or some other site where a 15 year old kid would be the author of the advice.

I believe my setup is wrong and hindering me from getting better on the drums. I am 6' 5" and the snare is higher than the two toms that sit on the bass drum. I have a hard time reaching the 14" tom and sometimes the floor tom too. I have a 20" bass. It is the Slingerland Set-O-Matic type rod that holds the toms and I have it all the way up as far as it will go. Now, is the obvious answer play a kit with a bigger bass to raise up the toms or are there different length Set-O-Matic tom holders?

Is there something that raises up the bass drum? (Which would raise up the toms as well)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

drumhack The Bandx-mas2x-mas1x-mas3Jump For Joy

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago

Just a quick tip which came to my mind immediately is: try a tom stand, they usually can be set higher than bass drum mounts (even though you'll have the toms a bit off center as related to the bd, but then again this might be desirable if you like your ride close).

p.s. mark I'm not exactly what you would call an 'accomplished drummer' but I guess I'm not the 15yrold lad either ..hehe.

Posted on 15 years ago

You can get a riser that will lift it a couple of inches. You might also try to find a post that is longer than the Slingy. I'm not one, but there must also be other tall drummers on here. I have the opposite problem. 5'9" and short arms and legs.

Posted on 15 years ago

This may sound silly but how high do you sit on your throne? Neil Peart who is 6'4" sits low on his (last time I saw a pic of him) as well as Stewart Copeland (the Police), who is close to your height.

You can switch your Tom to a stand to add height, instead of raising the BD. Just because the BD has a Tom Mount doesn't mean you have to use it, if it doesn't work for you, use something that does.

Post a pic of your setup.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here