Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Drum Identification

I recently picked up a set of older drums that I am restoring but I really cannot tell what brand they are. They look like Pearls to me but the floor tom leg mounts don't look like anything I have seen before.

They are currently wrapped with hideous fake wood cabinet liner paper!

The insides of the shells are painted a light gray speckle. The snare inside is not painted and the grain is vertical. The snare drum is MASSIVE - its 8 X 14 with 10 lugs per side. The outside of the snare is a metallic looking wrap. The snare is wood. The grain on on the outsides of the shells is vertical as well. Certainly looks like luan to me. The bass drum is 14 X 22 with 10 lugs per side. The floor tom is 15 X 16 with 8 lugs per side. The riding toms are 9 X 13 and 8 X 12 with 6 lugs per side.

I have searched high and low through the catalogs on line trying to figure this out. I don't want to ruin some special set (I doubt it's very special). The snare really has me confused. I haven't seen very many snared that big.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Posted on 14 years ago

Here are a couple pictures of the floor tom before and after the new wrap. You can see the floor tom mounts in the second picture.

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice job on the wrap. Sorry, but no real name info for you, and yes they are Pearl stencils. Actually, those edges put it at a later date, into the very late 70s, more likely into the 80s, as the lugs are the Taiwanese stuff. Those sharp edges are Maxwin/Royce/Import (very early Import), knife edges. And they should sound pretty good, although they probably have a very narrow tuning range, but good, solid hard working drum,s, if you keep the edges in good shape. If you want to open up the range, take some sandpaper and do the following:

1) First, very lightly take the edge down from knife sharp to a very slightly rounded contour. I mean ever so slightly.

2) After that, use 220 grit to "close the grain" of the wood. This basically burnishes the edges, making them smoother and giving the head a easy slide over the edge.

This is part of the reason they have a narrow range, because it is not a smooth action pulling the heads over the edge. Smoothing the makes the head slip easier. If you are uncomfortable changing the contour, just smoothing out the edges by sanding the to close the grain will make a difference. Not as much, but some, and every bit helps. Use an edge treatment when you are done sanding.

Good Luck!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

The set is made by pearl 1980-95.most likey a cb 700 or many other names it can be..The bass drum legs,floor tom mounts,tom mount were used on40 or so other names.The badges were stick on ones so to tell you a name for sure would be very hard...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I redid the bearing edges as part of the project. They had an inside rounded cut that came to a point near the outer ply of the shell. I redid the bearing edges in a similar manner using a rounded inside cut. I made sure the bearing edge was flat before I started. Once the edges were cut, I went back over them with 180 to smooth out the cut and took the sharpness off the bearing edge. The edges are really nice now.

Mike

Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice! I ain't no great drummer, but I know the sound I like and it is vintage, to go with my ears...and that edge contour usually produces that type of sound.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here