Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

drum heads for vintage slingerland

Hey all,

Just recently picked up a mid 60's slingerland solo in absolutely mint conditiion..the set was packed away in a gentlemens closet (in the house not the basement or attic) and looks like it just came out of a show room

I prematurely went out and bought some replacement heads (similar to what I have on a much new pearl set) installed and sounds ok..the heads I put on were evans ec2's with g1 reso..

I think with these heads I am not getting the full sound of these masterpieces..they work good on the newer drums with the razor edge seating surfaces to control overtones and such but I don't think I made the right decision for the slingerlands..I just bought a single remo ambassador and reused the original reso on one of the toms and the sound is amazing..

any body have any suggestions for good combination for this vintage..I have 2-12, 16 and bass..also bought and restored a beautiful radioking..

1965 slingerland Solo-Pink Champagne
1966-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1974-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1964-Slingerland RadioKing Chrome Snare
Posted on 14 years ago

From kjklives2ride

Hey all,Just recently picked up a mid 60's slingerland solo in absolutely mint conditiion..the set was packed away in a gentlemens closet (in the house not the basement or attic) and looks like it just came out of a show roomI prematurely went out and bought some replacement heads (similar to what I have on a much new pearl set) installed and sounds ok..the heads I put on were evans ec2's with g1 reso..I think with these heads I am not getting the full sound of these masterpieces..they work good on the newer drums with the razor edge seating surfaces to control overtones and such but I don't think I made the right decision for the slingerlands..I just bought a single remo ambassador and reused the original reso on one of the toms and the sound is amazing..any body have any suggestions for good combination for this vintage..I have 2-12, 16 and bass..also bought and restored a beautiful radioking..

If the Ambassador sounded amazing on one drum with the original reso why not try the same formula for the rest. I think Ambassadors are a great choice for vintage drums .

Posted on 14 years ago

That was my next move..any thoughts on what to use on the reso side..the set originally had ambassador batters on both sides

1965 slingerland Solo-Pink Champagne
1966-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1974-Rogers Dynasonic Chrome over brass Snare
1964-Slingerland RadioKing Chrome Snare
Posted on 14 years ago

try the evans resonant - I have always found they are a bit thinner and get a great decay going

I spose it depends on what sound you are after though?

hit hard
Posted on 14 years ago

From kjklives2ride

That was my next move..any thoughts on what to use on the reso side..the set originally had ambassador batters on both sides

Some people like coated on both sides. You could try clear Ambassador or clear Diplomat for the resos.

Posted on 14 years ago

I love Ambassadors on all my vintage drums. I use coated on top and clear on bottom, it really brings out the warm vintage tones.

Posted on 14 years ago

Consider trying either Ludwig Weather Master or Aquarian American Vintage heads... Both are single-ply and come in classic coated finish... The Ludwigs also come in clear.

They both seem to fit vintage drums' bearing edges a bit better than the Remo and Evans.

Posted on 14 years ago

I love coated emperor's on the batters coated ambassadors on the reso's it is a old formula but it makes vintage drums sing and if you tune up the reso side you have a very warm and controlled sound ...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here