Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Drilling satin flame wrap

Hey!

I'm going to be drilling into a shell with a satin flame wrap. (It's a modern custom drum, not a vintage drum) Are there any precautions I should take or tips for doing so to prevent the wrap from cracking as I drill?

Thanks in advance!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 7 years ago

I would do the following to prevent cracking and splaying of the wrap.

Put the blue or green painters tape on the area to be drilled inside and outside of the shell.

I would build a fixture of wood that can be clamped to the shell that fits snug against the shell. A 1" wide by 1/2" thick piece of wood would work best for both sides. Clamp that on with 2 pressure clamps and then drill your holes. I have used this method on multiple re-wraps and drilling other holes on shells. Works like a champ.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Very good advice from CTMichael V!

As a second way of doing this, I find that for drilling "clean" holes in drums, the use of a spade bit works well. (See attached picture).

If you can drill from the inside of the drum, the sharp point of the spade bit will poke out first and be visible before you drill all the way through. Once it pokes through, stop. Then, drill from the outside in and line up the sharp point on the spade bit with the hole that it already made when you drilled from the inside.

This really helps the wood from splintering at the the hole, especially on softer woods.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here