Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

DrCJW Slingerland Article 3

Article was just uploaded and is an excellent guide to Slingerland shells.

Click Here

Hope you all enjoy it!!!

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Article was just uploaded and is an excellent guide to Slingerland shells. Click Here Hope you all enjoy it!!! DavidWebmaster

Dave

Thank You!!! I just joined the site. I own a 1970"s Slingerland Kit. It has some delamination at the seams. Is there a fix?

Thank You

Posted on 18 years ago

Are you saying the finish is coming up at the seams? or the shell wood is seperating at the plys?

Let me know

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Are you saying the finish is coming up at the seams? or the shell wood is seperating at the plys?Let me knowDavid

Dave

The finish is seperating from the wood.

Posted on 18 years ago

I have heard a few fixes for that and one is using

super glue (acetone), very carefully and with great care. You should tape both edges of the seam (and shell edge), because if it runs, you will ruin the wrap.

The real glue that is used for applying wrap to the shell requires

a process of applying the adhesive to both the shell and the back of the wrap then letting that cure and eventually putting the two pieces together. (3M Fastbond Contact Cement 30nf). Use a small paint brush.

There are glue experts out there and they might have a better glue for this.

After it is glued you will need to clamp it with blocks of wood so you need everything ready to go and in place

for a quick clamping.

The important thing is that the glue must be perfect in the seam.

It is also recommended that you do some practice pieces first so you see how the glue reacts and understand the process.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

The best way is to peel about 2 inches away from the shell. Then you take a razor blade and carefully scrape away all of the old contact cement. You will see the white base of the wrap on the underside and scrape the area where it will rest onto the other piece. Use Weldwood Contact Cement and follow the manufactures directions. Just remember!!! Once it is layed down, it will never come apart again, so make sure you start at the lifted end and work to the other piece on the shell. You won't need any clamping with this technique and any of the extra cement can be rubbed off when dry.

Posted on 18 years ago

I will take that as a good suggestion depending on how bad the lift is at the seam. If it is only a small section, I would personally not peel back the two inches and opt for a simpler fix. If on the other hand it is a larger section and the wrap peals back easily then the 2" method would work great.

I would also recommend caution and patience with that so the person making the fix does not do more damage to the wrap. It would be a case by case basis depending on the wrap and if it is brittle or not.

I think I might have swayed or miss-led the topic with my earlier answer, because the wrap problem is at the bearing edge and not the seam. I started on course with my answer and then went a stray!

Sorry for any confusion folks.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

I have heard a few fixes for that and one is usingsuper glue (acetone), very carefully and with great care. You should tape both edges of the seam (and shell edge), because if it runs, you will ruin the wrap. The real glue that is used for applying wrap to the shell requiresa process of applying the adhesive to both the shell and the back of the wrap then letting that cure and eventually putting the two pieces together. (3M Fastbond Contact Cement 30nf). Use a small paint brush. There are glue experts out there and they might have a better glue for this. After it is glued you will need to clamp it with blocks of wood so you need everything ready to go and in placefor a quick clamping. The important thing is that the glue must be perfect in the seam. It is also recommended that you do some practice pieces first so you see how the glue reacts and understand the process. David

Thank you so much Dave!

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

The best way is to peel about 2 inches away from the shell. Then you take a razor blade and carefully scrape away all of the old contact cement. You will see the white base of the wrap on the underside and scrape the area where it will rest onto the other piece. Use Weldwood Contact Cement and follow the manufactures directions. Just remember!!! Once it is layed down, it will never come apart again, so make sure you start at the lifted end and work to the other piece on the shell. You won't need any clamping with this technique and any of the extra cement can be rubbed off when dry.

Thank you so much my brother!

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here