Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Downsizing the drum collection

For the last fifteen or so years, I have been acquiring vintage drum sets through buying some and trading for some. I think that I reached the state of critical mass in 2013 when I had 13 drum set--all mid 20th century American-made drums. My wife and I were empty-nesters, and decided to sell the large house to have a more manageable retirement cottage built for us. I would not have the luxury of the fourth bedroom used for my drum collection.

There were a few months before moving to the new smaller house. I sold off five of the drum sets. Of the eight drum sets that made the move with us, I have over the past few years sold or traded two player's sets for one pristine set a couple of times. My drum collection is now a more compact aggregation of three drum sets and one cocktail kit. I have kept a few extra snare drums. I have not sold any of my couple dozen vintage A. Zildjian cymbals ranging from pre-World War Two to early 1970's. My drum hardware stash has more than enough stands and pedals to outfit about ten drum sets. I may now be satisfied with the stuff I currently have. I say that today. My thinking on the matter may change at any time. Here are the drum sets I have kept.

1963 Black Diamond Peal Leedy 20-13-16-matching Shelly Manne snare.

1968 Lavender Satin Flame Slingerland 20-12-13-16-various snares.

Leedy orphans (40's-50's-60's) White 3-D Moire 18-11-16-matching Camco Tuxedo snare.

50's Sky Blue Pearl Gretsch Cocktail drums.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

I'd like to down size too, but I'm too lazy. I may just start with stuff that is easy to ship. The thought of boxing up kits for shipping really turns me off. Someday.

DZ

Posted on 2 years ago

Offer a. discount bonus for the buyer to come to you. Or offer to meet the buyer half way between his house and yours.

Posted on 2 years ago

I should downsize, too. And I really want to sell the house I'm in and move to a remote log cabin semi-off-grid style of living....But I've put so much of my blood, sweat and tears into this place that I'm not sure I'd ever find a better place at this point....plus, I'm not young, anymore. It's hard to let go of some things because of all the time it took to get them. I'll never be able to sell any of my drums for what I'd want to get....unless there's a sudden explosion in the market. I have no heirs to will any of it to. I guess they'll have to pile it up all around my dead body and cremate the lot!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

I already have , and went down to one kit my original 69 HW

As to going too far, I think did . I’m missing a small kit , so there’s a point to overdoing it

So I am at the time in my life to be disposing of stuff .

wife said what am I going g to do with it all ?

So enough said !

Still that perfect small kit in pink champagne would be a nice addicting addition …

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

jaghog...Something that will save you money and provide a fun project is to acquire a few orphan drums of suitable sizes for the small drum set.You already have the pedals, stands, and cymbals. Re-wrap them, and enjoy them without worrying about trying to sell them when the time comes for clearing them out. You can always gift them to a school or church or a needy aspiring drummer. It will be a nice tax write-off.

Posted on 2 years ago

Good orphan kit sound nice

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

Here's mine that I made from a 1940's 7x11 tom, 1950's 12x16 marcher tymp tom, 1960's 16x18 floor tom conversion. The mounted tom and floor tom are Leedy. The bass drum was Slingerland that Leedy lugs dropped right into the lug mounting holes. I think that I have less than $300 invested in these drums.

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Nice

how’s sound ?

1967 super classic obp

Posted on 2 years ago

The drums sound a lot bigger than they are. I prefer to use thicker vintage-type heads on the toms from Aquarian. The bass drum has whatever heavy two-ply heads I can find.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here