Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Downbeat Kit Mount Options?

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"]OK guys... help me out here. Does anyone know of anyone who purchased a [SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]new Downbeat kit in the 70s with a double tom mount? I was curious if this was an option for those who may have preferred that mount to the rail.

Also I am restoring a 12,14,20 early 70s Ludwig kit, BUT the bass drum has an original double tom mount (no extra holes drilled for the consolette) I am at a crossroads... completely recover the entire kit, and have the mount hole plugged and then re-drilled for the rail OR... just have the 14" covered (covered in original 60's Blue Oyster Pearl) and leave the 12,20 in Sky Blue Pearl. What to do?? :confused:

Can it still be considered a Downbeat without a rail?? (not for resale purposes, but just for drum geek pride!) Thanks! [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

If the drum has an original double tom mount with no holes for a rail, it would be ludicrous to recover it...unless the wrap is complete shot, or it has already been re-done.

Don't understand why you would have one drum done in the new '60s oyster blue (which doesn't really match the original) if the rest of the drums are sky blue pearl.

Posted on 17 years ago

I saw a set once that was a 70's 20,12,13,14 set. It had no extra holes and had a double tom mount drilled as well. The interesting thing was that the half the set was 3-ply and half was six ply. The serials were all close as well. Pretty cool. The wrap was bowling ball oyster blue.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"]OK guys... help me out here. Does anyone know of anyone who purchased a [SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]new Downbeat kit in the 70s with a double tom mount? I was curious if this was an option for those who may have preferred that mount to the rail. Also I am restoring a 12,14,20 early 70s Ludwig kit, BUT the bass drum has an original double tom mount (no extra holes drilled for the consolette) I am at a crossroads... completely recover the entire kit, and have the mount hole plugged and then re-drilled for the rail OR... just have the 14" covered (covered in original 60's Blue Oyster Pearl) and leave the 12,20 in Sky Blue Pearl. What to do?? :confused: Can it still be considered a Downbeat without a rail?? (not for resale purposes, but just for drum geek pride!) Thanks! [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hmmmm...I'm kinda confused about the questions. Are you asking if there is a Downbeat kit that came standard with a double tom mount? The answer is "No, not that I am aware of". The Downbeat kit configuration was 20/12/14 the snare drums were various but usually were Jazzfests or Supras. I think the name of the double tom mounted kits were "Pro beat" or "Rock Beat" or something like that -not really sure.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Sorry for the confusion. I am putting together what would be a Downbeat 12,14,20. Now... the 20" bass (factory drilled for a double mount post) is from a larger kit that I purchased. The 12" is a concert tom which I will be making a double headed tom. The tom and bass are finished in Sky Blue Pearl (original)

Now... I later picked up a 14x14 70s 3 ply FT that is Blue Oyster Pearl (the 60s version) I am not a huge fan of sky blue pearl and was planning on refinishing the entire kit as this will be a players kit that I will not be parting with, so resale value is not important.

So basically it is recover the drums (if I were to do that I would have the double tom hole filled) or... leave the 20,12 SBP and play the double mount, and have the 14x14 recovered.

I know what a Downbeat kit is and what a Pro-Beat, and other configs, BUT was curious if anyone had seen a Downbeat kit ordered with a double tom mount (using one tom of course) instead of the rail consolette (if by players preference or something of that nature.) [/SIZE][/FONT]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]I forgot to mention that when I purchased this kit it was in the following set up....

6,8,12,14 concert toms

15" double headed tom

16" 69 Keystone Badge FT

20" BD (drilled for double mount)

The whole lot is 3ply clear interior. B/O badge (minus the 16" FT)

The serial numbers of all the concert toms, bass drum, and 15" are all very close. The woman I bought the kit from said that her husband ordered the kit. Who knows? Either way I got the kit for a great price. Wacky config though! Thanks guys![/FONT][/SIZE]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

Oh, okay. In that case, I would keep the double tom mount and just mount one tom (the 12") to it and leave the other side of the double tom mount empty. Also, I wouldn't recover any drum that has a decent original wrap intact -regardless of whether or not they all matched -because, as you say, it is to be a player's kit and not a restoration. The modern wraps available today are just not as cool (in my opinion) as the older, original ones. But, IF it was me and I HAD to recover one of the drums, then I would choose the floor tom -since it wouldn't require you to drill any new holes into anything. If you dislike the color, then sell them to a guy who loves that color and get some other ones that are the kind you like. Well...that's what I would do, anyway.

To answer the question about the Downbeat: I suppose anything is possible with a custom order, but I only know of them as having the railmount as far as "standard issue" stuff.

Posted on 17 years ago

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Thanks O! Yes ultimately it would be nice to find someone with a SBP 14x14 to trade for my Blue Oyster... it is really a sweet finish and I have never been all the way comfortable with the idea of recovering it. Now... my "rock" kit that I am restoring (all 3ply clears) are finished in black or white solid, so no love lost there. [/SIZE][/FONT]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah...plus...the old oyster blue is such a cool and desirable color. It's VERY desirable -VERY desirable! and to have it on a 14 X 14 is well...I wouldn't do anything to it. Just let it be what it is. It's such a cool wrap color -easily one of my favorites. I was never that into SBP either...but oyster blue pearl is a definite fave!

Posted on 17 years ago

One of my friends had a 14x14 sky blue floor tom and it was in okay shape. It was a 70's B/O badge and was a bit used. He got $500.00 for it on e-bay! I would sell your floor tom and look for a suitable replacement. I would definately not re-wrap.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here