Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Doubt about a "red BB muffler supraphonic"

Hello, i joined this forum because i guess i could get some help here, let me explain myself.

I'm about to buy my first ludwig supraphonic, it's my dream snare and i'll finally be able to buy one..that's why i must be sure i'm buying the right snare.

So, i found one on Ebay for sell that looks pretty fine, and i noticed it has a red BB muffler on it, i researched on the net and i found an article saying that those red BB muffler supraphonic are not so good sounding(Kirk Higgins wrote that article, here's a quote of it "I recently picked up one of the earliest pre # alloy shell Supras with the crimped bed and the red BB muffler. This drum, while very similar to mid ?60?s and ?70?s alloy models, doesn?t have the roundness of tone and ease of snare tensioning found on the later models, most likely due to the difference in snare beds.")Does any one here alredy played in one of those?Is it really that bad sounding?

So now i'm really puzzled and i would like some opinions.Should i buy this one?Or this snare really is inferior and i should wait for another one to pop up?

Here is the ebay auction i'm speaking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/65-Ludwig-5x14-Supraphonic-Snare-W-Case-Red-muffler_W0QQitemZ7421670622QQcategoryZ64434QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance!

Posted on 18 years ago

Well, that's the first I ever heard a story like that. I wouldn't be too concerned about the drum if it's a Ludwig Supraphonic. Every one of them I ever heard sounded great. I have an early 70's Supra. It's my favorite metal snare drum by far.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here