Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Does anyone recognize this snare?

Please exuse me if this has already been answered somewhere, this is my first time here. I have this kit up in my attic and was considering doing a restore/refinish. Then I though that maybe I'd better check before I do.

I'm including shots of the snare and one tom. The badge on the kick (no badges on the two toms) is the same as the snare. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. Much appreciated.

Note - I hope you guys can see these okay. I had to make them pretty small to adhere to the sites size criteria. Also, just in case you can't read it, the badge is the "Chicago" badge.

Posted on 18 years ago

We need to see the butt side of the snare.

The file size restriction is the K size and not the pixel width

so send me the larger images and I will reduce the K size.

Slingerland did not put badges on toms early on.

Is the finish original on the tom, it is hard to tell from the image?

Also provide the drum sizes and descriptions in regard to condition and the butt side of the snare.

Is it an extended butt side. If so it is a Krupa Sound King COB

Here is the snare you have, yours is just an older model.

David

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you David, and I'll try to get you some better shots. In retrospect, I should have provided you a little more info. I was in a hurry and I apologize.

The snare's a "10" lug unit. The wires seem to have leather strings attaching them to the drum. I'm not sure what "extended butt" means, so you'll have to give me a little more info.

The toms (a ride and floor) are, as best I can tell by the charts you have, are "Sparkling red". The inside of the toms seem to be painted black, so I'm unsure of the wood used.

Also, there is no serial number on the snare's badge. I'll have to get the kick out of the attic to confirm if there is a sn on it or not, which I'll do when I get home.

Though these drums aren't in bad shape, they're far from mint. And someone added a new mounting bracket on the tome, drilling some new holes around the originals. Nothing major, but would have to be accounted for in some respect.

But the photo you presented looks very much like my snare.

I'll get you actual sizes when I get off work. The snare, just sitting here thinking about it, looks like it might be a 5X14.

Posted on 18 years ago

Yep, the painted black is not original and the extra holes will detract from value. The snare is bringing between $100 and $200 on Ebay depending on the butt side and condition.

Here is a snare with extended butt.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/hardware/slingerland/slingerland_70_3ply_agate_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 18 years ago

Outstanding!!! Thanks so much for all your help. My primary intent was to refinish these drums with an "Oyster" wrap. Make them real pretty and be able to set them up in a more public portion of the house. Though I certainly feel a nice looking kit only enhances the decor of any room.

Now I don't feel I'm committing a blasphemy and can move ahead with my project.

Once again, my thanks to all.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here