Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO BLEACH WMP(I have some ideas)

I might buy some WMP Ludwigs and would like to restore them the best I can. These are some of the ideas I Have.

. Sea-Glow

. Denatured Alcohol

. Isopropyl

. A mixture of hydrogen peroxide, glycerin, oxygen based bleach, and xanthun gum to make it sticky

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Good Morning!

I've got an idea: Unless they've "yellowed" in lieu of "mellowed", why not leave them in their natural state?

I realize that I'm showing my age here, but to me there's nothing that screams "vintage" more than an aged kit that's both functionally and cosmetically sound!

Now, if the original wrap's got scuffs, chips, tears, etc., that's another story. But an over-all "natural" fade through the years on all the drums gives the kit "character" IMHO.

As a comparison, there's NOTHING "natural" about the 60 year-old co-worker who walks into the office one morning with shiny, "shoe-polish" black hair only to announce that he just removed "a few" of the gray hairs. Sure he did!DOH

Good luck in your project, whatever you decide to do! How 'bout posting some before and after pics?

Posted on 15 years ago

The only problem is that if the alcohol doesn't get it off, none of them will. That yellowing is usually the result of oxidation and it's through and through the plastic. Sometimes it's just dingy from being exposed to dirt, smoke, moisture, etc. over the years and alcohol can usually remove that.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

There's always the wetsanding and polish method too....but if they are really yellowed badly, this won't do much for it as its through the plastic all the way......unless they're really ugly, I'd leave it be....

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here