Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Do you clean original lug screws and if so, how?

Now that I've taken my 1959 Radio King apart to thoroghly clean, I noticed that the lug mounting screws all have a whitesh oxidation like look.

So, do I leave them as is, or do I clean as I would with other parts. If this is the case, do I use Flitz metal polish, steel wool, Whink rust remover....have no idea and don't want to ruin them by accidentally doing the wrong thing.

Thanks much.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi.

I am currently detailing a new (old) little Ludwig kit that I recently purchased and one of the toms had lug mounting screws that were completely white with oxidation. I think it is the zinc in the alloy that causes that white appearance -same white stuff that lifeguards put on their noses at the beach!x-mas1 Anyway....I always just spray all the metal parts down with a coating of good old WD40 and let them soak for several hours. I don't ever bother to scrub the oxidation off. It just soaks away for the most part. I just wipe them dry of the excess WD40.

For any pitted chrome or stamped steel parts, I use the same WD40 soak followed by a scrub with a broken-off popsicle stick...the wood of the popsicle stick is soft and won't scratch anything and the broken-off ends have litte splinter-teeth that really get into the small spaces. After I get all the pitting removed, I then follow up with some Brasso and a terrycloth rag...and then finally paper towels.

WD40 fixes almost everything!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here