Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Do vistalites always crack ?

Like it says on the tin, do they awlays crack ... eventually ? Is it inevitable ?

Does anyone have a well-used kit that has stood the test of time ?

Just wondering.

Posted on 16 years ago

The answer is no, if you take care of your vistalites. I think the cracking problems on some 70's Vistalites are from the tom mounts on the bass drum and negligece by the owner. Transporting Vistalites without cases, then, yeah, you will get scratches and cracks. Keep them in your car and expose your drums to different weather conditions will also lead to cracks. The reissue Vistalites have a reinforcement strip on the seam, this will reduce the chances of cracks. The reissues also do not put tom mounts on the bass drum, less stress on the shell. Look on Ebay, there are a great deal of Vistalites for sale from the 70's.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

Yes, I've seen quite a few on ebay, and they usually have a crack, hence the question.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Yes, I've seen quite a few on ebay, and they usually have a crack, hence the question.

Really? I have not found that to be true, but, I'm not looking to buy any, I just check out the cool drums. Ok, I just did a quick vistalite search on ebay. 21 entries, and only one auction had a drum with a crack. Interesting, I will keep my eyes peeled. I have owned an older vistalite and a reissue and I never had any cracking problems. I look on ebay everyday at vistalites and I have not noticed a huge problem with cracks, considering most of those drums are from the 70's and made out of hard plastic.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

I was thinking about this the other day... Ludwig was making a ton of these drums compared to everyone else..

So there are going to be more broken.....

Also, drop any brass drum or wood drum on the strainer, you will have some type of damage...

Look at other drums of the 70's, finishes fading, peeling at the seams, ply seperation and other standard problems...

So overall, I think the vistalites can take normal road wear, and any drum not handled correctly will have issues...

Unfortunately they do crack and that gives them the bad wrap over the years...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Interesting .. thanks.

The ones I've seen on ebay have been in the UK and most/all seem to mention cracks, although stress that it doesn't affect the performance.

Thanks again.

Posted on 16 years ago

I'll be attempting a repair on a clear 16x16 floor tom w/ a 9" crack from the top through the muffler knob, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

"Unfortunately they do crack and that gives them the bad wrap over the years..."

Hey David.........pun intended ??

Posted on 16 years ago

Yes! pun intended.....

If the cashola was out there, my green set needs to go....

Love the drums, but also need the cash!

You can sit behind them and test them in your dreams here.....

David

Posted on 16 years ago

From Webmaster

Yes! pun intended..... If the cashola was out there, my green set needs to go.... Love the drums, but also need the cash! You can sit behind them and test them in your dreams here..... David

can't get that link open...........small box with a x in the upper left corner

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here