Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Do I need to repair my Radio King snare

Hi folks

I'm a newby to VDF. I recently acquired a set of 30's/ early 40's Radio Kings which sound just amazing. Unfortunately, the snare has some separation of the Re-enforcement rings (top and bottom). Despite this the snare sounds clear and focussed - just amazing. Regarding the separation of the rings, the width of the gap from the shell is pretty tiny but is quite long in places. There is no or little movement of the ring at the separated areas, ie, it's pretty stable right now.

However, I'm wondering if I should do anything to prevent vibration from creating more separation - insert some glue in the gap?. I REALLY love the sound of this drum and intend to use it as my main snare drum for the forseeable future, so it' gonna get a lot of beating real soon.

What should I do, if anything, to preserve this absolute gem of a drum?

Many thanks for your advice.

Posted on 13 years ago

I would glue it anyway to be safe for the future. Use good quality water proof wood glue. Hold the top of the glue bottle firm against the gap, then squeeze the bottle so that the glue runs into the gap. Use glue clamps and tighten them firmly and don't forget to put cardbord pieces between clamps and shell to prevent damage (imprintings) to the wrap or wood inside. When tightening the clamps make sure the reinforcing rings are totaly against the shell and no gap is longer visible. You will need a certain number of clamps to cover the whole place where the gap is situated. Then let them on for a day. During tightening the clamps, some glue will come out of the gap which should be taken away with a humid cloth immediately because the glue dries quick and is hard to remove after drying.

Posted on 13 years ago

I would recommend using a large animal syringe to get the glue in deep. Also wax paper is very good to put down before the cardboard pieces! Good luck!

Posted on 13 years ago

Great, thanks for the advice!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here