Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

DIY Tama Superstar King Beat snare

Dear fellas, I hope I don't get banned for doing this.

I recently bought a Tama Superstar concert tom and converted it into a King Beat snare. Almost everything is done by hand, cutting the shell in half, doing the bearing edges and a bare minimum snare bed. Only the holes I used a power tool.

I still need some parts like tension rods and a badge. Right now I have tension rods borrowed from a different drum. The lugs I have were for a steel shell so the screws are too short, so I borrowed again from a different drum. According to some sites the screws are 3/16 28 thread and other sites claim it's a m5 0.9 pitch. Which one is it and does the m5 0.9 pitch fit the 3/16?

Also I have a question about the snare bed, what are the dimensions for a Superstar snare (depth and width). I would like to make it period correct, or at least try since I'll be doing it by hand. Anyway please let me know what you guys think.

I mainly did this because a Superstar King Beat snare is rare and pretty much out if my price range, and I had some parts laying around. The concert tom was pretty cheap as well so I figured why not.

Cheers and enjoy the few pictures.

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Gorgeous drum. You did a great job. Is it African mahogany?

Posted on 8 years ago

Thank you Mo Tonkie. I believe this is a birch shell in Super Mahogany finish.

Posted on 8 years ago

A great looking KB conversion! Yes, the lug screws are M5 x 0.9mm. As to the snare beds, I had a beautiful KB and the shell had no beds. This causes no issues since the drum makes use of extended snare wires that are always under tension, even in the off position.

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Thank you Mark for the info. I'll be shopping for some M5 0.9 pitch screws, which will be hard to find.

Cheers,

Nehomar

Posted on 8 years ago

Nice work there. And not sure I have ever heard anyone complain about re-purposing a concert tom!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here