Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

DIXIE SNARE - New Refurb Project - Yip! Yip!

Here's a new addition ~ a Dixie 14" x 5 - 1/2", Red Sparkle (crushed glass) snare. I've stripped off the hardware to begin it's clean-up & refurb. Not one bit of fade.

This pic in no way captures how ruby red the color is - and the sparkle is super 3D. I wish that I had the photo gear to accurately capture it. [i'll post more pics as I go]

This is my 1st exposure to Dixie - this one was a freebie :-)

A few oddities here ~ Along with the wonderfully gorgeous wrap, I was surprised to see no re-rings. I *think* it's a 3-ply shell - the bearing edges are pretty rough making it hard to tell - could be 4-ply.

It basically looks like *cheap* plywood. The innermost ply has about an 1/8" gap at the seam, the washers & bolts are all pretty tiny, by American drum standards - and the holes are almost too tight for some of them. It's also a 6 lug. The inner ply is so soft, that some of the washers got embedded in the ply when tightened.

It's interesting how the vent hole grommet is held in by pressure and 2 papershank-like "wings" of metal.

The throw seems pretty cool, with its off/on lever and big honkin' chrome rotary adjustment - and a serviceable butt plate. Similar-to-Ludwig style tone control w/ the same big honkin' chrome rotary knob.

It came with 20 strand snare wires. The snare beds are about 6 inches, lug to lug. Quite the cool piece, I can't wait to get it crackin'.

No date stamp - but I'm guessing '60s/'70s. I think the badge is plastic (black & chromed).

Anybody know much else about these? (I've read everything on the site) -

It has the same hardware as the Poppy pics on this thread:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=979&highlight=Dixie

I'm a happy-er boy Party

Oh - And I can't resist mentioning this Dixie Set on eBay right now :

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-DIXIE-DRUM-SET-BLK-and-SILVER-SPARKLE-STRATA_W0QQitemZ330342858357QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce9f7fe75&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Sshweeet!

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

OK - She's all clean & shiny. Kleening And doesn't sound bad at all D' Drummer

though tuning was a little tricky.

Took a bit of detailing ~ alot of sharp metal edges on the hoops, the muff spring metal was totally bent, very rough & bumpy bearing edges ~ and this throw off is kinda funky.

Adjusting it to make the snares sound good is one thing, but when it's off, the tension control dial has to be loosened even more to get the snares clear enough. The wires do need to be replaced, but I think it's mostly because the throw lever doesn't have enough range.

If anyone has any Dixie throw-off insight or other thoughts on the bearing edges - give a shout. Thanks.

1 attachments
...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here