Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Direction of Wrap Application - Leedy Drums

I'm used to seeing Rogers drums more than others. I do have a bit of experience with other manufacturers from the 60's, but at the moment maybe not enough. For the most part, I believe the drums I have owned all shared a common principle for applying the wrap, and that is they attempted to locate seams so as not to be too, too obvious. So the bottom piece of wrap was installed on a bass drum first, for example, and the top piece overlaps it in such a manner that the seam edge is facing the floor. Similarly, a floor tom has the seam in the back and normally the edge is facing the drummer. Tom toms mostly have the seam edge facing the drummer.

Was this normally Leedy's policy under the Slingerland era management - late 50's to mid-60's? I've seen one or two lately that didn't seem to match my recollection where the seam edge seemed very noticeable.

Posted on 3 years ago

Most (probably all) wrapped vintage Slingerland and Leedy drums I have seen have the seams located as you describe for the Rogers drums.I'm not very familiar with Gretsch and Ludwig. But, I'm going to guess that Gretsch and Ludwig also tried to do the same.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 3 years ago

Hi Dan!

You are correct in your assumption for the seams for Slinger-Leedy drums. In regards to the toms, both my 1965 and 1967 sets have the seam almost in the middle of the diamond plate on the mounted toms. The floor toms have the seams in the middle of the lugs. I'll post pictures.

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here