Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Dimensions for 70s Ludwig Bass Drum Spurs?

Hey guys,

I need spurs for a late 70s 22" Vistalite Ludwig bass drum. I have the mounts. I'm thinking of trying to make a pair.

Does anyone have a set they wouldn't mind measuring and passing on the dimensions please? I know they are curved.

Thanks,

Wes

Posted on 6 years ago

Anyone made curved spurs before and have any advice?

Wes

Posted on 6 years ago

There are 2 sizes.

I believe they are 5/16" and 1/2".

What size holes are in your mounting brackets?

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 6 years ago

I just read on another forum post that both size spurs fit into the bracket.

There is a pair (curved spurs only, no brackets) on ebay now for $35.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Bass-Drum-Spurs-Excellent-Late-70s-80s-/132350659740?hash=item1ed0b6cc9c:g:VUIAAOSw0Q1Z1Cf9

IMHO, making them would cost more than $35.00

and these have the rubber feet too.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Posted on 6 years ago

My 1/2-in spurs are about 13-in long. I've used 1/2-inch spurs on a drum that originally had 5/16-inch spurs. I had to file a few edges of the hole to get the spurs to slide adequately. Not much, but some filing was required for me because of the angle.

Posted on 6 years ago

I just looked at my 1/2" spurs.

If it were me,

I would want to get the correct size for my mounting brackets.

I would not want to modify anything.

I would recommend measuring your brackets and getting the correct matching size spurs.

Not sure what size those were on ebay.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Posted on 6 years ago

Well the pair just sold.

Here is another ebay sale with 1/2" spurs with brackets for $45.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Bass-Drum-Mounts-and-Curved-Spurs-Vintage-Early-Mid-1970s-/142531667198?hash=item212f8ca4fe:g:hDoAAOSw-9xZ2U~l

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. The square holes are 9/16" so thinking the 1/2" are the way to go. I like the challenge of trying to make them. Just need to get the curvature right. If it fails, would just be out some money for the square bar stock and a little time. I'm trying to stick to a theme with this set of doing things right can be done inexpensively and in a timely manner. We will see how that goes!

Thanks

Wes

QUOTE=green glass drum;419577]Well the pair just sold.

Here is another ebay sale with 1/2" spurs with brackets for $45.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Bass-Drum-Mounts-and-Curved-Spurs-Vintage-Early-Mid-1970s-/142531667198?hash=item212f8ca4fe:g:hDoAAOSw-9xZ2U~l[/QUOTE]

Posted on 6 years ago

From green glass drum

I just looked at my 1/2" spurs.If it were me,I would want to get the correct size for my mounting brackets.I would not want to modify anything.I would recommend measuring your brackets and getting the correct matching size spurs.Not sure what size those were on ebay.

I agree; I'd buy the right sized spurs.

I had to enlarge the hole in my drum in order to accept the larger 1/2-in spurs.

The bracket screw holes are spaced the same on either size, but the actual spur hole in the drum and in the metal brackets are slightly different, or at least that's how I remember it on mine.

Posted on 6 years ago

Ok guys. I'll take a better look at the brackets.

QUOTE=Mo Tonkie;419582]I agree; I'd buy the right sized spurs.

I had to enlarge the hole in my drum in order to accept the larger 1/2-in spurs.

The bracket screw holes are spaced the same on either size, but the actual spur hole in the drum and in the metal brackets are slightly different, or at least that's how I remember it on mine.[/QUOTE]

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here