Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Difference in new Red Sparkle Wrap and Original Rogers Wrap?

Hello, I recently bought a '60s red sparkle Rogers Holiday kit that could use new bass drum hoop inlays. I'm wondering if the new red sparkle wrap you can buy is close to the same texture, if the "sparkles" are a different size than the original sparkles, or if the inlays are so narrow that it probably wouldn't be noticeable if it was new wrap. Any experience with this same sort of issue? Also, I'd like to re-pain the hoops before placing the new inlays. Any suggestions for paint? Spray Paint? Glossy? Satin? Any suggestions would really help. Thanks a lot! Luke.

Posted on 13 years ago

Do you have Glass Glitter, or Sparkle? Different texture as the glass glitter had real pieces of glass in the mix.

Clean and sand the hoops. You can put the wrap on, then cover with tape and paint. Lightly sand between coats and then respray. Careful with the spraying to prevent runs. More lights coats is better then thick coats.

Posted on 13 years ago

Welcome! Go to www.jamminsams,com and they will send you you small chips for samples so you can see which is the closer match.

www.drummaker.com or www.precisiondrum.com will also extend the same courtesy.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I just re-did the hoops on my 1959 Slingerland set, used Strip-X stripper to strip off the old paint using a toothbrush to loosen the gunk. Wiped off with paper towels, then gently went around the edges of the inlay channel with a flat blade screw driver to make sure I had clean edges. Then found a small tub of Duron fill & patch vinyl spackling in the garage that worked like a charm filling the dents & scratches from the pedals, etc. Let it dry, sanded lightly, then went over it with steel wool to make sure there were no little snags. Sprayed Krylon Gloss Black, let it dry, turned it over and sprayed again...let that dry, hit it with steel wool again the next day and then sprayed a second coat the same way. Let that dry and it's beautiful. I discovered that the steel wool after the first coat is the secret to getting a smooth finish. When you put on the second coat it is really nice and smooth. Kept a fan blowing on them for a day or 2 before gluing on new inlays & putting them back on the drums. I got my inlays from drummaker.com in Nashville...they sent me samples and while my drums are 52 years old...the new inlays are almost a perfect match... There was also a great deal of discussion in another thread about exactly how to attach the new inlays...some used staples...some didn't. My originals were both stapled and glued...all i did was use Elmer's wood glue. wiped off the excess with a damp sponge, and gently clamped the ends down until it dried (it's virtually invisible after it dries)...no staples were needed. You will have one piece of inlay longer than the other, if you are very careful the seams will be fine...and just use your head and arrange the seams on the underside facing the floor, they'll never show.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here