Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Die Cast Hoops

It's my understanding that Gretsch was known for its die-cast hoops that were supplied with its snare drums in the early 60s.

I was wondering if any other drum manufacturing company, whether domestic or foreign, also offered die-cast hoops on its snare drums. Also, how can I determine whether a rim is truly a "die-cast" rim or not?

THANKS in advance for your consideration!

Posted on 17 years ago

Both Pearl and Yamaha make diecast rims....maybe Tama does too.

The differences are obvious when you see a triple flange compared to a diecast rim side-by-side. The diecasts are MUCH heavier and "stiffer". They don't flex. They don't have a flange on the top edge. They are much more expensive!Mister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

THANKS for the feedback.

A friend of mine recently picked up a drum he mistakenly thought was Americn-made, since he saw a "U.S. Mercury" label on it. I told him that it was Japanese made. However, the rims on it look like die-cast rims. Could this be possible? Also, a magnet doesn't stick to the rims, for what that's worth.

Posted on 17 years ago

Oh yes. That's very possible. Many Japanese sets were direct copies of Gretsch, Slingerland or other American brand name drums.

Also...just FYI....magnets are mostly attracted to ferrous metals (iron-containing). Die-cast parts are usually made from alloys of zinc or aluminum. Since these alloys do not contain any iron, magnets will not stick.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Premier supplied all their post war drums with die cast hoops, in the late 70's they started offering steel options as standard on certain lines.

www.blenheimdrums.co.uk
Premier spare parts
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here