Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Determining the year of a WFL kit

Greetings All,

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on determining the year of my WFL kit. The kit was purchased a number of years ago from a musical instrument resale shop. I played em for a couple of years then decided to store em. The sizes are 14x22" bass drum, 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 floor tom and a 5x14 snare. The finish is WMP. The rack tom mount has a metal plate with a slot (no nut or wing nut to tighten tom down) The mount for the tom on the bass drum is a rail mount with a tab on the rail arm that fits into the slot on the tom mount. (kind of confusing trying to explain). The bass drum has the fold out spurs that hug the shell when collapsed. The 3 floor tom legs are strait with a kind of a button mechanism with a spring to adjust the height. (again, no nut or wing nut to tighten). Checking the inside of the shells there are no dates stamped on the inside of any of the shells, out side of chalk marks stating their sizes. The shells look to be mahogany with reinforcement rings. Looking at the badges on this site, the badge year looks to be between 1955-1959.

Is there any way to tell the specific year that these were made?

Thanks,

Bubba

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey there Bubba, sounds like a great vintage WFL set, what sort of condition is it in? I have the exact same set but in Black Diamond Pearl. Mine also has no date stamps, just the sizes written in chalk. Sorry but I can’t add any insight to the exact date of your drums but you have narrowed it down to the correct time period. Without the date stamps I guess there is no real way to tell the exact date they were born. Does your set have internal mufflers? Mine has none and I am wondering if that is unusual. I know Buddy Rich endorsed these drums and he didn’t like mufflers on his drums. Anyway how about posting some pictures of your set? Sounds like a beauty. Mine’s in the garage at the moment in pieces, I’m currently doing a clean/restoration job on it, the snare has come up like new! Can’t wait to show the set off here when it’s all done.

Enjoy those great drums!

Posted on 16 years ago

If the set has a badge that reads WFL DRUM CO at the top and the address at the bottom, it is most likey 1956 or eralier. If it has a badge that reads WFL DRUMS at the top it would most likely be 1957. Of course if it had a transistion badge it would be between 1958-1960.

Drums from the 1957 era on were usually stamped with a date in red ink somewhere. Sometimes it can be hard to see as the inner ply was a dark african mahogany. Sounds like a nice set just like the one J.J. Allison had with Buddy Holly and the crickets.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

Photos always make it easier to help out...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey guys, thank you all so much for your help! I will try and get some pics posted on here. Might make it much easier if you can see the set!

Bubba

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here