Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

So my new (1920's) Universal snare has dents in the shell. One at the strainer and one at the butt. No huge surprise. Seems like these old metal drums all have these dents.

I suspect that the dents are affecting the sound of the snare though so I'm thinking of finding a way to get them fixed. I also think one of the dents has brought the snare side out of round as the bottom head fits very tightly.

So, for you guys with experience in this kind of thing: 1. Am I crazy or might the dents be affecting the sound? 2. Any tips on getting dents repaired in a metal shell? I'd try to do it myself with a rubber mallet but the dents are kind of up under the bearing edge so it's tricky. I'm in the Boston area so if anyone has a specific craftsman to recommend in this area, that'd be great.

Here's a pic of the strainer-side dent: [img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/lsgus.jpg[/img]

Thanks,

John

Posted on 11 years ago

I could be wrong but looks like crimped snare beds? Seeing how there's 1 on each side and all?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Wow, it never occurred to me that it could be that. It looks fairly crude but I supposed in the 20's the manufacturing wasn't very sophisticated. I suspect you're exactly right. I guess I win the dumbass of the year award.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on 11 years ago

Those are the beds. Ludwig crimped their beds on their metal snares up until the early 60s. Most metal drums nowadays have a wide shallow bed that's fairly discrete.

Posted on 11 years ago

Slingerland shell's.. same thing.. right up to the 80's, Thats just how it was done.. "precision crimping"..

Stay away from the panel shop...

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

You learn something new every day. Thanks fellas.

Posted on 11 years ago

Nice ring, man.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 11 years ago

Haha, thanks Gilnar.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here