Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Dents in metal shell: how to hammer them out?

I have an old pre-serial chrome over brass Supraphonic 400.

Threre are small dents into the shell: one is in a panel and caused accidentally and the others are situated under the mounting feet of strainer and butt, so I think at the Ludwig factory or later by someone the mounting screws of strainer and butt were tightened too hard and so made strainer and butt pushing into the shell.

How can I hammer out these dents without dammaging the shell on the inside and causing no new dents from the inside towards the outside?

Posted on 17 years ago

I have had some luck using the rubber end of a hammer to tap on the dents. Gradually use a bit more pressure until you get some results. Or tap on a piece of wood on the shell. Larger piece to start and smaller as dent is pounded out.

Mostly start easy and increase power until you think it is working, or stop when you think you are hitting hardwnough but not getting results. Slow works better than single blow.

Posted on 17 years ago

Try a rubber or wood mallet. I have used a rubber mallet designed for driving tent stakes into the ground. It works well, but like the previous post says, go a little at a time. I worked on a COB Dynasonic that looked as if someone used it as a bowling ball, and it came out great. Brass is pretty maleable, so it is not hard to work with.

Also , and this is very impotant, if you do use a wood mallet USE EAR PLUGS! as it will get very loud (just think how loud hitting a stick against the shell would be). We drummer's need to protect our hearing!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here