Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Dent removal??

I recently replaced all the heads on my 1960 WMP Luddys with med. wt. Luddy heads....sound GREAT. The jazz band I play with just did a clinic at a local middle school and I had some of the students try some technique things on my set( the school set was really bad)...MISTAKE!! There are now some major dents in the 9x13 tom head. It seems to me that I read somewhere that dents in heads can be removed with a match/candle flame. Is that true or should I just put down $12 for a new head? (drum head, that is)

Posted on 15 years ago

Why yes.. there is an old thread that talked about using a lighter to remove dents in drum heads...

I do remember a couple really positive responses to that technique. I never tried it.

David... as I recall you were on the lighter side of that thread.

Don't beat me up for this....Way back when in the old days....I used to take a lighter and put the flame under the head and near the ding...It would go away like magic....I just kept playing the heads...Of course I have not dinged a head in so long...Someone can give it a try with an old head and report back, either a success or "Nacho El Remo"David

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

A lighter will work but don't get the flame too close to the head or you will end up with a hole in it instead! Try using a hair drier or a commercial heat gun on its lowest setting instead. A hair drier on high will be slower than a heat gun but it will not melt the head.......it will take a little work but if you don't mind spending the time, you can save the 12 bucks for when you do need to replace the head when it is worn out for sure.

Posted on 15 years ago

A bic lighter worked great! You're right...it doesn't take much. ( I was afraid to use a heat gun for fear of covering too much area) Thanx to all!

Posted on 15 years ago

Dang...who'd a thunk ?????

Posted on 15 years ago

You might want to consider Ludwig's HEAVY weight heads in the future. Their medium weight is actually the same weight as Remo Diplomats....read thin.....the heavy weight heads are actually the same as Ambassador weight. I fell into this trap once and found that the mediums dent very easily. Once I read the specs on the heads no wonder! The sustain is a bit longer with the heavy heads too.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Ludwigdude..

thanx for the heads-up(yuk yuk). Are the heavy Ludwigs 2 ply like the Remo emperors? Emperors don't make it on a jazz gig. 95% of my gigs with these Luddys is bigband.

Posted on 15 years ago

From drumguy60

Hey Ludwigdude..thanx for the heads-up(yuk yuk). Are the heavy Ludwigs 2 ply like the Remo emperors? Emperors don't make it on a jazz gig. 95% of my gigs with these Luddys is bigband.

No, they are a single ply like an ambassador. They'll be fine for jazz gigs, or whatever kind of music you play....good all around head. Ludwig does make a 2-ply head but they are pretty hard to find, usually have to be ordered.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here