Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Density of glass glitter in new wraps

A while back I purchased an fairly thrashed late 50's Radio King snare in Pink Glass glitter. The wrap was beyond repair but as I disassembled the drum I found unfaded/unthrashed samples untder the lugs and a spot where the previous owner had put a sticker. It's a really cool color so I figured I'd rewrap per original.

I requested a sample from a reputable source, my assumption being that it is a Delmar wrap.

I received the sample and the color match is really good, but the density of the glitter is somewhat lacking. On the old wraps I have, including a mid-50s shell I have out in the garage, it is pretty much 100% coverage with the glass glitter, there is no background showing through. On the new sample the coverage is about 85% i.e. 15% background showing through.

What's up? It the manufacturer just cutting expenses or is it likely that the samples are somehow not representative of the whole sheet?

It's one of those things where most people would not notice but when it's your own drum or work you want it to be right.

'56-'59 Slingerland BDP "Krupa Deluxe Ensemble"
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Various orphan shells and parts nearing critical mass
Posted on 12 years ago

Who did you get the samples from? I've got an entire sample set from Sam Barnard, of Jamminsam.com, and all the Glass Glitters certainly appear to show 100% coverage.

Posted on 12 years ago

Mine came from Precision drum.

I have always been told that, other than the cheap stuff, they all are manufactured by Delmar.

'56-'59 Slingerland BDP "Krupa Deluxe Ensemble"
DW Classics "Buddy Rich"
PDP CX
Various orphan shells and parts nearing critical mass
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes, they are all manufactured by Delmar. I'm not quite sure why your samples don't have 100% coverage. I've had samples from Precision Drum and all were perfect.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here