Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Dawn on rust

Just took the claws from the 50's bass drum out of the Dawn solution and I think it was a failure. Seems like it made the rust worse in some cases! Going to try the vinegar method next.

Posted on 14 years ago

Cut an onion and rub the onion on the rust until it's gone. If that does not work report back and we will kick it up a notch.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Bottles of Evapo-Rust can be found at car parts stores and I've had pretty good luck with the stuff. Just soak the rusted part(s) overnight.

Posted on 14 years ago

From GoneDrumming

Cut an onion and rub the onion on the rust until it's gone. If that does not work report back and we will kick it up a notch.

Aw, come on!

Posted on 14 years ago

Serious as a heart attack. Try that first, cut and rub like you were sanding with it.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

This is some bad rust, I hate to waste a good Vadaila on it!

Posted on 14 years ago

ok....we'll skip that step...go to the auto parts store and get Eagle one chrome wheel cleaner and eagle one mag wheel cleaner.

Start with the chrome wheel cleaner, the mag is STRONG. Spray on and let it soak for a couple of minutes then scrub with an old tooth brush then rinse and dry well. Then polish with tutle wax chrome polish and rust memover, this is in a small green bottle and you can get it at the auto parts store too.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Okay, I'll give it a try!

Posted on 14 years ago

I use Blue Magic metal polish cream (its like 6 bucks) from the auto parts store on old rusted hardware and it works fine. It just takes patience LoLoLoLo and one tired polishing arm. On stuff rusted pretty severe usually the 2nd round of polishing will get them looking real nice. just one more method to add to the mix, works wonders for me. Good luck D' Drummer -kev-

Posted on 14 years ago

Lucky,

I've used CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover) on extremely rusted hardware (nuts, washers, etc) and had some good results. Its not a polish however. Never tried it on bass drum claws either. Perhaps if the other methods don't work you might give that a try as a last resort? Good Luck!

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here