Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Dawn bath - I'd like some specifics, please

I am just about to clean the ca 1977 5x14 Rogers Dynasonic that I bought a week ago. I've read about the famous Dawn bath, but nowhere have I seen any specifics on the correct proportions of Dawn and water.

So, firstly, how much Dawn to how much water?

Secondly, I live in Sweden, and Dawn is not marketed here. Would any other dish washing liquid do? Or does Dawn contain some magic ingredient?

Do I have to post-treat the chrome after the Dawn bath to prevent rust etc? If so, how?

I have some chrome/metal polishing (in a tube) and could use this instead of a Dawn bath, but since the Dawn bathers seem very convinced, I guess Dawn is the way to go. Or?

I am looking forward to your replies.

All the best,

Magnus

Posted on 9 years ago

Hi, Magnus!

Is a product called "Evaporust" manufactured in Sweden? It is an excellent product.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 9 years ago

"I've read about the famous Dawn bath, but nowhere have I seen any specifics on the correct proportions of Dawn and water."

Thats easy, just fill the bath tub 3/4 full of hot water, then tell Dawn to get in it.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Evaporust doesn't seem to be marketed here, either. But thanks for the suggestion, Brian.

Since I didn't get any responses to the making of the Dawn bath, I have now proceeded to the point that the drum is now having its little soak.

After some research I am fairly certain that Dawn is the brand name Procter & Gamble uses for the product that they market as Fairy Liquid in the UK, and, strangely, Yes in Sweden, where I live. So I bought a bottle of that solution and emptied most of it into a plastic tub big enough for a baby, and topped up with water.

So, that's where things are at right now.

Tomorrow evening, or Saturday, I will begin removing the drum parts from their bath in the hope of having a very clean Dynasonic.

Any advice is always welcome.

Best,

Magnus

Posted on 9 years ago

Should work fine. (I'm sorry I didn't see your thread earlier)

I use a plastic container and typically soak the gear in Dawn with no water overnight. Good starting point here:

http://vintagedrumguide.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html

I have read--only once and only on the internet--that Dawn has a higher than typical alcohol content, which may explain its effectiveness in cleaning gunk. And has me thinking I might try sealing the container next time, (Just speculating).

After the Dawn bath, and flushing out all the detergent, there's as much work as you want to put in on cleaning and polishing.

Posted on 9 years ago

My Dawn solution consists of water and the exact moment my wife sees the Dawn Bottle upended. Sometimes its a little, and sometimes a little more.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the advice, and thanks patrick for the link. The drum is still in its baths, glistening nicely from the greenish depths of the Dawn solution.

/Magnus

Posted on 9 years ago

In Australia... Dawn is also marketed as "Fairy" dishwashing liquid... there are several blends available...

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

I posted some pictures here of how everything turned out post-bath. I am very happy with the result.

/Magnus

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here