Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

David Robinson's Slingerland kit

Does anybody have any info about the Slingerland kit David Robinson of the Cars, and the Modern Lovers, used during most of his career with the Cars? I'm talking about the semi-famous Chrome kit he used. Interested in known sizes, possible shell makeup, what cymbals he used with the kit (I know they are Zildjians but what sizes?) I know he did use some Syndrums and a Synare3 or two at the time as well.

Also, does anyone know the whereabouts of that kit now? Does David still own it for that matter?

Posted on 8 years ago

5 ply maple for sure and he has a 15" on the left....

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 8 years ago

I met his brother last year at a studio party in Gloucester and know some people that might be able to get the answers you are looking for-I might see a couple of them tomorrow night and will try and get the answers for you......

1967 Ludwig Psychedelic Red Downbeat Kit (all original)w/14 in floor tom
Noble and Cooley Walnut snare
Noble and Cooley Horizon 6 piece kit in blue sparkle
2002 Noble and Cooley 4 piece Studio Classic in natural maple
Nov 3 1967 Ludwig chrome Supraphonic
1990s Pearl Session Custom in Amber fade
20 Zildjians
1984 Tama Superstar Bell Brass Snare
Noble and Cooley natural cherry snare
Posted on 7 years ago

From d.w.zildjian

I met his brother last year at a studio party in Gloucester and know some people that might be able to get the answers you are looking for-I might see a couple of them tomorrow night and will try and get the answers for you......

That would be fantastic. Been a fan of his (and the Cars and the Modern Lovers as well) for a long time. Always wondered what the kit sizes were and where it ended up. A kit like that belongs in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, as do the Cars in my book. But I'm a local guy too, so maybe I'm a bit biased. :p

Posted on 7 years ago

I texted David's brother last night and he got back to me and told me he would try and call him today-I will let you know as soon as I hear from him....

20 Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

From d.w.zildjian

I texted David's brother last night and he got back to me and told me he would try and call him today-I will let you know as soon as I hear from him....

That would be as I said before.....fantastic :D

On the edge of my drum throne wondering what ever happened to the Slingy kit :cool:

Posted on 7 years ago

I have texted his brother again this week and haven't gotten a reply-maybe he doesn't know or doesn't want to talk about it-pretty common knowledge around here David owns or runs an art gallery out on Bearskin Neck in Rockport MA....I will try again later on today...I did send him the pic and he replied back that it was a good one of his brother

20 Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

I texted the brother three times last week and didn't get a reply-perhaps they don't know what happened or he doesn't want to talk about it-sorry but I tried!!

20 Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

Well, it was worth a try. Maybe the answer will come about some day.

Posted on 7 years ago

I just got done building this kit as a tribute to David’s slingerlands. I play in a cars tribute and had a bunch of slingerland shells… although I had to search far and wide for the deep 14” tom.

14x14, 10x14, 16x16 (mine is a shallower 14x16, because I had one, and I tend to like that size) 16x18, 14x24

I reached out to David through a fan group of his on Facebook, and he told me the drums are long gone..although he also told me a “bunch of gear that was in storage was just found”

.. he actually had another matching set in red wrap which got stolen, also his syndrum pads and tama kit from the “door to door” era was stolen.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here