Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Dave Clark 5 (English) Rogers kit 1964

Say, what do you guys think those drum sizes are? - 20, 12, 14, and probably 16" floor tom?

With those single and angled rods supporting the mounted toms, I would think they would really bounce if you hit them hard.

But then again, Dave Clark rarely strayed from his hi-hat and snare drum.

But he sure looked cool, sitting so high upon his throne...and out front. The leader of the Dave Clark 5 wasn't going to be relegated to the back of the stage!

See attached pic. Regards, MB

Edit: actually I see on the website: englishrogersdrums.co.uk that someone acquired a later similar kit used by Dave Clark, and the tom sizes were 12, 13, 16. But the depths of the shells make the 13 look so much larger? See the link for the "1 million (English) pound drum kit."

1 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

First of all, the mounted toms are reversed in the set up. The one one the left looks to me like a 12, as the tom is angled more prominently than the one on the right. If you look at the spacing in between the lugs, I think there is a case for the one on the right to be a 14.

Having said this, there is also a case for the BD to be an 18". If you look at the fellow on the far left; his right leg seems to be parallel to the BD and his knee looks to be well above the BD. This might explain the "yuge" looking toms.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 3 years ago

I love the DC5! Each mounted tom used a Swivomatic tom arm, with the brackets mounted toward the rear of the bass drum. A very odd setup, but maybe Dave wanted the toms to appear to magically float?!!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

Yeah, Dave Clark always had his toms mounted "in reverse" or "backwards" or whatever you wanna call it. The guy on the far left - lead singer Mike Smith was about 6'1", so that does seem to indicate that the bass drum might be 18"....Denis Payton the sax player - whose visible knee is closest to the drum kit - wasn't as tall, but he still seems to tower over that bass drum. Kinda crazy to obsess over this stuff, but it's still fun!

I suppose we could look at a vintage English Rogers catalogue and see how they measured their drums. They were Ajax shells, actually.

Regards, MB

Posted on 3 years ago

Well, photos can certainly be deceiving! Here is our answer, from the 1964 Rogers catalogue. Standard "American" sizes. The englishrogersdrums.co.uk website has a handful of 1960s catalogues available for viewing. See attached photo.

Regards, MB

1 attachments
Posted on 3 years ago

12", 13", 16" and 20" bass drum.

They were English made Rogers meaning they were made entirely in England by Boosey & Hawkes, who made Ajax drums under license from Rogers USA. Similar to USA Rogers drums but the shells are birch. Everything was made in England.

Plenty of info here.

From the guy who restored them. Everything about the kit is under the The £1M drum kit link

http://englishrogersdrums.co.uk/1M%20Pictorial.html#

From the auction a few years ago.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19037/lot/214/

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here