Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Dating this Chrome Premier Snare?

This snare is for sale locally and there's only one picture of it (and upside down, nonetheless). I don't know much about Premier metal snares, but the badge looks like the older one from the '60s and the rods look slotted when I look closely. Can anyone tell me by the lugs, strainer, hoops and what little there is in the photo if this is steel, aluminum or COB? Most cheaper 70s-80s Premier snares I see like this are steel, but I figured the older ones may be something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

looks like a late 60s COB Hi-Fi. It has the 60s badge and beer barrel hoops but the later lugs so late 60s would be my guess. It'll be a superb drum and has the advantage of having the simpler strainer set up that doesn't require hens teeth wires

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago

I would agree, However Im thinking the strainer should have the straight arm, everything else looks right on the strainer, I'm no expert but the lever looks more like what you get on a Ludwig p45.? Don't know why. I got a cob hi- Fi recently and it sounds very very good. Is the shell scuffed slightly could it aluminium? Hope someone can help more. The aluminium sounds amazing as well. Member Gary nattras on here could maybe be of more help he knows these drums more than me.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Here is a pic of the hi- Fi model I have[Attachment: 91582]

1 attachments
I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

It won't be steel because it it definately is a 60s drum, premier didn't make any steel shells in the 60s.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

It's a 1960s snare - either brass or aluminum, with a Slingerland throwoff retrofitted to it.

Posted on 8 years ago

well spotted olddrumgeek, it actually looks like a cobbled together P85 and a WFL P83. It could be that the Premier strainer was unreliable (some have a tendency to disengage too easily). I was thinking possibly a converted Royal Ace as it looks like it might have 8 lugs instead of 10 (later Hi-Fis had 8). But unless Premier fitted some of the later RAs with those lugs (possible) that doesn't seem likely and there would be plenty of evidence of the old strainer. Either way it'll be a cool drum and I'm guessing it'll be cheap - they usually are.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone. He doesn't seem to want to get rich off the thing and it's a "make an offer" situation. What do you think is a fair offer considering the aftermarket strainer and whatever flaws are visible here? I don't even know what an original Hi-Fi in good shape goes for.

Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

I'm not in the best position to advise all I know is UK prices, and they are quite cheap really, mine sounds top notch actually better than a supra that I part exed for it, I didn't know anything about them, so a happy accident. Mine was £ 110- £120. A supra would be twice that. Hopefully someone will know how much in USA. - Google it.Cool Dude I reckon they will sound every bit as good or better!? Than a black beauty. One difference is the hoops are die- cast, just thought I'd mention. You can haggle down the price cos of the different strainer, and if it works ok it wouldn't be any worse than the original.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Also is the drum heavy because mine being cob realy is quite heavy, if not could it be aluminium? Which would be quite light. The aluminium ones are realy good as well.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here