Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Dating older LP Congas...

Hmmmm I recently came across an older LP tumba, 12.5", hand laid fiberglass shell, old style rims, with the old-style badge that reads (from top left to bottom right) "Latin Percussion - LP - Garfield, New Jersy" and in the left bottom corner "M. Cohen". There is a number scribbled on the inside of the shell in marker, either "7182" or "281 L", depending on how you look at it. Is there a way to date this conga? I know that LP came out with Comfort Rims in the late 80's, and this drum predates that with the old straight style rims, but other than that, I've got nothing... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Thanks in advance

~Chris Mattoon

[email]cmattoon@student.umass.edu[/email]

Posted on 18 years ago

[color=DarkRed]Hello and welcome to the forum! This would be my first LP question and fortunately I have a catalog (1985) from LP that had the story about that drum. In the center is a drum with the badge you describe. In regards to the year, I have a set of Rosewood Congas that are from 85 (written on the inside) and they have the old style rims. Does that kill your hands!! So your date could be 1982. Just a guess. (cool my text matches the conga)[/color]

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/lp_conga_th.jpg[/img]

[color=DarkRed]When you click on the image you will go to a supersize image. The thing with current browsers like IE and Netscape is they resize the image to fit the screen size. You will notice when you put your cursor in the bottom right corner of the image an icon will appear to see it full size. Click it.[/color]

Posted on 18 years ago

Proper hoops, but wrong badge... I don't mind the hoops, but then again, the newer style comfort hoops sure are easy on the mits... I like you idea about the date and the number inside, possibly meaning 1982. Does anyone else have an opinion on that?

The badge on this conga has a large "LP" in the center, with the words "Latin Percussion" upper left, and "Garfield New Jersey" lower right. Then, "M. Cohen" lower left. There is no color, it's just black on brass. I'll try to get a pic up this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

~Chris Mattoon

[email]cmattoon@student.umass.edu[/email]

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here