Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

dating a ludwig black beauty snare

This is why I joined this forum. I recently acquired a beautiful Ludwig snare drum and would like some help in dating it. I have no web cam so it's just a description. It's a 5 X 14 all metal snare, two pieces welded together so there is a center bead. The interior is black. The exterior is white enamel. It has a 338 strainer (later renamed the P 84, I believe). The strainer is slightly bent but still functional. One of the strainer screws does not look original. The "Ludwig Chicago" logo is engraved just to the left of the strainer. The hole is to the left of the logo.There is no badge on the hole. The entire drum is engraved with the scroll pattern...though it is difficult to see under the white enamel. The drum has 8 tube lugs with clip hoop mounts. The butt plate is original with no logo on it. The butt plate, strainer, hoops, tube lugs, and tension rods are all gold plated. What's amazing is that the gold plating is still quite nice and 15 out of the 16 tension rods are original (1 replacement tension rod is clearly not gold plated). The clip mounts are all original with none broken or even cracked! From my readings, I believe this drum is the De Luxe model but I can't figure out the year. Here's the more interesting stuff: it came with a light mounted inside it. This mounting did no damage or leave any marks on the interior shell....I have since taken this light out. But there's more: the light bulb still worked!!! It was an Edison Mazda 50W,15V( maybe 115V,I couldn't quite read it on the bulb),GE Blue bulb.The filament was cool looking when I put the bulb into a modern lamp!...Finally, two more drum set pieces came with the drum. One was a bass drum mount double cymbal hangar with no logo that I could find but the thumb screws looked like Ludwig. The other piece was a bass drum mount double cowbell holder (I think) with "Ludwig and Ludwig, Chicago" marked on each metal pieces (3 of them) and on the washer! The gasket between two of the metal pieces was still intact. I rescued this drum from a major Flea Market in the Northeast...it was raining and the two drum set pieces were quite rusty (they have since cleaned up quite nice). Older drum heads were on the drum but they were quite broken and have since been discarde. I found no logos on the drum heads. I won't tell you how much I paid for the lot because it was a steal. Any help from Ludwig experts would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm no expert, but... are you sure its a Black Beauty, with that white enamel?? Black beauty's were, well, black! They did come with etched patterns on the 'special' models, which revealed the brass shell underneath (but confusingly i have read that some BB's were brass, some bronze). Check the badge shape to give you an indication of year (refer to the drum badge page on this website) and the serial no. could be a place to start. I may be wrong but i suspect the white enamel was a custom job which may or may not add to the value. Just my thoughts.... but if it sounds good, keep hitting it.

Posted on 17 years ago

Dont mess with the drum until you hear from a real expert. That white enamel might have been someones butcher job. You could have a really valuable drum under that paint.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Without photos we are all blind on this one...but per your description it sounds like a mid 1920s L&L 8 lug scroll (wave) DeLuxe that has been painted white...(I just got an L&L 6.5x14 12 pt. floral DeLuxe that someone buffed to brass and then painted black...go to AKDrums.com, look under the Restorations section and you'll see the before and after...this guy does amazing work)...are you sure that the hardware is gold or is it Artgold (copper plating with gold lacquer)?...gold plating was a factory option though...depending on what you are into the drum for it may be worth the 300.00-400.00 to send the shell to AK Drums for restoration, then clean up the hardware and bring another dead DeLuxe (Black Beauty) back to life.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here