Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Cymbal Arm Worries, Help Appreciated!!

Hey guys.

So i have a 70s green sparkle kit (pics in the gallery section) and I have the opportunity to buy an original 70's cymbal arm and block to go on my kit. I would like to have one of these, as I like the look and it would remove one stand from my hardware case.

Few questions though, first of all, whereabouts would I place it on the drum, with regards to where ludwig would've put it from the factory, and also on it shall be mounted a 20" Paiste Giant Beat, would I have any issues with this touching the tom mount (diamond type with single tom holder)?

Finally, are there any precautions I should take when fitting, should i decide to go ahead with this?

Thanks in advance

Posted on 14 years ago

That's a good question. I looked at your kit again and it might be cutting it a little close since you have the newer center mount post. An older railmount would have been offset to the side a little more, allowing a bass drum mounted cymbal to sit in a bit. There are probably some decent pictures in the gallery of bass drum mounted cymbals to get you in the ballpark of where the placement is. The only bass drum mounted cymbal I have is on my Downbeat kit and that's a 20" bass drum.

Since you're not really dealing with a completely era-specific kit, anyway, you might want to just hold the cymbal and arm in place, manually and get an idea of where the edge of your ride cymbal is going to need to sit in relation to your tom tom.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

It appears to be mounted in the center of the shell, between the two sets of lugs to the right...

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12356[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12357[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

Of course, you CAN swing the cymbal arm away from the bass drum and the place the tilter section in such a way as to compensate for the outward angle of the arm, itself. Lots of pictures show this. But, I'll tell you, I recommend that you try and keep that cymbal arm as vertical as possible, because it lessens the tendency of the arm to "spin" and grind itself in the hole of the mount.

There are newer versions of this mount that have a memory lock. If I were you, I would consider that as an option to the era-specific 70's version you are considering.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think I will just put it where it feels right then. I may end up just using a snare stand for the rack tom is this becomes an issue, but If I check this before it goes on it should be fine. Thanks for your help O-Lugs! Clapping Happy2

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here