Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Cutting holes in front bass drum heads

Which method(s) does everyone use? I tried one of those Fiskars hole-cutting tools from a crafts-type store, but it was hit-or-miss. Actually, 1 hit and 3 misses! So, it's back to the old drawing board.

The problems I encountered with the tools included not being able to hold the darn thing steady, resulting in a weird-looking, part-round part-oval thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted on 13 years ago

I did it for a friend one time. First try. I put a paint can on the head, took my utilty knife with a new razor, pressed down lightly on the can and traced it with the razor !! Turn the head upsidedown so it lays flat and make sure the surface is cardboard or something under it. I used a pizza box under it!! Don`t press hard on the razor !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

I happen to have some drafting tools so I use a blade attached to a compass. You'll need a compass that's large enough to keep the blade perpendicular to the head.

Cutting a large hole with a small compass is possible with a steady hand, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As above, it's key to have a sharp blade and to work over a protective surface.

9x Slingerland New Rock 50N 12-13-16-22 with 170 (Super S-O-M) holder
• 1979 Oak
• 1978 Blakrome + 6.5x14 TDR SD
• 1977 Black Diamond Pearl + 5x14 SD (gold badge, Rapid strainer)
• 1976 Black Cordova
• 1975 Silver Sparkle + 5x14 SD (Rapid strainer)
• 1974 Chrome + 5x14 COB TDR and 6.5x14 COW Zoomatic SDs
• 1973 Purple Sparkle
• 1973 Phantom (clear)
• 1971 Walnut (gold badges) + 5x14 TDR SD
1x Rogers Powertone Londoner V 12-13-16-22
• 1972 Butcher Block + 1979 big R Dynasonic SD
Posted on 13 years ago

I used to go with the school of cutting a hole in the front head. Back then I'd use an awl to start it and then use a utility knife from there. Then they came out with heads that already have the hole cut for you. Now I've gone back to a head with no hole in it and nothing but felt strips to tame the heads, no pillows or anything like that. I get a much more vintage full sound, and I love it! It does screw with the sound guys though...."man, you've gotta cut a hole in that head! Where am I supposed to put the kick mic?" DOH

Posted on 13 years ago

From Ludwig-dude

I used to go with the school of cutting a hole in the front head. Back then I'd use an awl to start it and then use a utility knife from there. Then they came out with heads that already have the hole cut for you. Now I've gone back to a head with no hole in it and nothing but felt strips to tame the heads, no pillows or anything like that. I get a much more vintage full sound, and I love it! It does screw with the sound guys though...."man, you've gotta cut a hole in that head! Where am I supposed to put the kick mic?" DOH

Mount an internal mic in there and then you don't have to worry or listen to them.. Cool1

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 13 years ago

From latzanimal

Mount an internal mic in there and then you don't have to worry or listen to them.. Cool1

Setting the mic on a short stand about 8-10" away from the head usually works for me. Better tone than an internal mic too........

Posted on 13 years ago

There is a guy on youtube who takes a 5" soupe can with no label and heat's it up on the stove red hot. then places a board under the bass head and take's the can with OVEN MITS! on and burn/cut's a perfect hole into it.i have a holz cutter but i will try it just to see

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

I just spent the 10 bucks on the proper tool. You can get them at many music stores, and GC has them. Most of the websites offer them as well.

Here you have one for 6+shipping.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass-Drum-O%20s-Hole-Cutter?sku=443322

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

[QUOTE=drums2xs;99573]There is a guy on youtube who takes a 5" soupe can with no label and heat's it up on the stove red hot. then places a board under the bass head and take's the can with OVEN MITS! on and burn/cut's a perfect hole into it.i have a holz cutter but i will try it just to see[/QUOTE

I've done that a few times. Works great! Nice edge, round, etc. Get that can hot, tho......

Posted on 13 years ago

That sounds like a great idea! I got one of those port hole decals you stick inside and outside the hole. Used it for a template then Cut it out with a olfa knife and stuck the decals on. The hot can idea sounds like a fabulous idea though!

From drums2xs

There is a guy on youtube who takes a 5" soupe can with no label and heat's it up on the stove red hot. then places a board under the bass head and take's the can with OVEN MITS! on and burn/cut's a perfect hole into it.i have a holz cutter but i will try it just to see

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago