Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Cutting down a tom w/re-rings

Yes- I want to lose 2" of tom depth on an old 14x10" Premier tom that is already worthless. What do I do? Or, leave it alone?

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

leave it alone. You'll never get a perfectly even cut, and then you will have the problem of making new bearing edges.

I'd leave it!

Posted on 13 years ago

From Retrosonic

leave it alone. You'll never get a perfectly even cut, and then you will have the problem of making new bearing edges. I'd leave it!

Yeah- it was merely a thought...

I have a funny feeling that having a professional doing it would cost more than a new shell...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Steam off the ring, cut the shell down, glue the ring back on, cut the bearing edge. Pretty simple if you know how to do that kinda stuff...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 13 years ago

I can make a decent guess as to how to do that stuff...

I could fake the outside bearing edge on this drum.

We'll see...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

What's there to fake...? I went to the local pawn shop and picked up a router and small "Sears" table for less than 30 bucks, add a couple of free MIJ toms/snare shells to practice on, you can cut any edge you want. (don't forget the sandpaper)

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

From Retrosonic

leave it alone. You'll never get a perfectly even cut, and then you will have the problem of making new bearing edges. I'd leave it!

Table saw....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

From bunnyman

Yeah- it was merely a thought...I have a funny feeling that having a professional doing it would cost more than a new shell...

Very easy to do..Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

Easy to do if you have the right tools. Table saw, router and sander and your good to go. The most important thing is to take your time and think it out. Oh and don't hurt yourself.

Posted on 13 years ago

Bunny,

I'm right right up 55 a couple of hours. PM me, I'll walk you through it or come on up!!

I may know of someone in your neighborhood even...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here