Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.06472%

Cutting a round over bearing edge

From what I have seen, most modern drums use some form of relatively sharp 45 degree our double 45 degree cut, with a few using 30 degree or 60 degree cuts. But for a vintage sound usually a round over is preferred.

To cut the famous double 45 I know you have to router both the inside wall and the outside wall. But what about round overs? Should I do just the outside, just the inside, or both somehow? And what would determine the bit size I use, shell thickness? If I have a 3/8ths thick shell should I select a 3/8ths router bit?

Georgia Phil Custom Drumworks
https://www.GeorgiaPhil.com

Drum Wrap, Drum Heads, Drum Accessories
https://www.StuffForDrummers.com
Posted on 11 years ago

I was thinking no. But now I'm thinking that it will work perfectly if you go ahead an rout, then set the shell on a sand paper sheet on flat surface and lightly sand whole bearing edge, giving the head more than the knife edge to rest on. After all, with a rounded bearing edge, your looking for some more contact between the shell and head. You won't get as much contact as with the Gretsch rounded edge, the 3-ply with was 1/4", but with the thinner shell, this could give you a nicer distinctive mellower sound than the long drawn out "Duungg" sound of double 45° edges that many people then try to muffle.

Posted on 11 years ago

Vintage bearing edge - 30 degree inside cut with an 1/8th" roundover on the outside. Both cuts must land in the middle of an internal ply, you have to be very careful. Cutting bearing edges is not recommended for a novice. It's an art that takes a little time to learn. There is some science behind it. Educate yourself first, then practice on a throw-away shell before working on drums you plan to play.

Precision drum company has a staff of pro's that will cut a set of vintage edges on your shells for a reasonable fee.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Vintage bearing edge - 30 degree inside cut with an 1/8th" roundover on the outside. Both cuts must land in the middle of an internal ply, you have to be very careful. Cutting bearing edges is not recommended for a novice. It's an art that takes a little time to learn. There is some science behind it. Educate yourself first, then practice on a throw-away shell before working on drums you plan to play.Precision drum company has a staff of pro's that will cut a set of vintage edges on your shells for a reasonable fee. John

Where do you get 30 degree bit? I know, I’m a cabinet maker and should know this. Truth is I don’t use the router that much and the source I have for bits do not show a 30 degree bit in there catalog.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

Where do you get 30 degree bit? I know, I’m a cabinet maker and should know this. Truth is I don’t use the router that much and the source I have for bits do not show a 30 degree bit in there catalog.Jeff C

Guessing, but I think it has to do with the way the angle is measured. For a 30 degree edge, you'd use a 60 degree chamfer bit.

Posted on 11 years ago

Don't know what you consider a "vintage bearing edge", but Gretsch 3-ply toms do not have any inside routing, just outside, and the bass drums had just inside routing, and it looks like the snares as well.

Posted on 11 years ago

It's actually quite easy if you have access to a table router. A hand router does work, but not nearly as even.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Ron_M

Guessing, but I think it has to do with the way the angle is measured. For a 30 degree edge, you'd use a 60 degree chamfer bit.

Yes, we can buy 60 degree bits all day but that wont work in my book.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

Yes, we can buy 60 degree bits all day but that wont work in my book.

A quick search on the ebay shows a set of chamfer bits including a 30deg.

I am such a router geek that I am getting excited about ordering some more bits.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Ryan vonR.

A quick search on the ebay shows a set of chamfer bits including a 30deg. I am such a router geek that I am getting excited about ordering some more bits.

And a further look into it.... 60 deg would make a 30.... Just laying down instead of standing up 90 minus 60 = 30

Now I'm shopping some more...

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here