Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Cutting a marching shell

Hi, im new to the site, but i have been playing around with vintage drums for a while.

my latest project is a slingerland 12x15 (gold niles badge) parade snare i got off ebay for cheap. i dont march at all so i wanna try to make a drumset snare outta this. possibly a 7 or 8" deep drum. I know 15" snares arent the norm, but what the hell ill try it out.

now cutting down a drum shell wouldnt really scare me much but this one has re-rings obviously and that poses a problem. can i heat them up and release the glue so i can re-use them after cutting the shell? i was gonna cut each side evenly and keep the badge in the center, but that means i have to redo the snare beds, too.

anybody have ideas for me? should i just buy a keller shell?

Posted on 16 years ago

well i went and just cut the snare down. it worked out nicer than i expected, i wasnt too worried about messing it up at all. i would just throw it out if i did.

i just removed the top glue ring then moved it down to the spot i needed it to be, then cut excess off shell, glued ring back in, and trimmed the shell down to the glue-ring

1 attachments
41.7 kB
Posted on 16 years ago

Looking at the picture marked " slingerland 10, it loos like you have removed the wrap, is that right?

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

what are you going to do to get an even bearing edge? Just curious, in case I ever want to try such a thing.....

Posted on 16 years ago

yes i removed the wrap. To get a bearing edge back on it i just used the glue-ring that i had removed, then set down to the proper depth..i trimmed the shell down to the glue ring then planed it all off, then sanded it. i still need to place the shell on a glass table or something like that to check the edge, but im not too worried about it. these old drums didnt have too much accuracy anyway. the inside bearing edge is built into the glue ring so pretty much all i had to do was shape the outer bearing edge, if you get what im saying.

i found a NOS 15" snare side remo head at the drum shop today for only 5 bucks which was cool, and i also picked up a new set of 15" snare wires. this drum actually sounds pretty good!

Posted on 16 years ago

How did you remove the glue ring without splintering the shell?

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

How did you remove the glue ring without splintering the shell?

i dont know if you are the same guy who PM'd me, but i DID splinter the shell! i didnt care because i was cutting that part of it off anyway

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here