Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Crest Snare

Hey Guys,

Picked up a cool hodge podge of drums the other day and this snare was in the mix. It was hard to tell what it was from the pictures. It came with a mix if Camco and Gretsch drums and I thought it "could" be a Gretsch snare. Obviously not, but still kind of a cool little snare. The blue sparkle wrap looks good. The hardware needs a cleaning and it could use new snare wires.

The cloth under the batter head is interesting but effective at toning down the volume. Someone had the damper cranked so tight up against the head that the metal band is kinked and looks like it could break. Seen too many mufflers either broken or about to because of this.

Anyway, anybody else have one of these "Crest" snares? I'm guessing it is a MIJ stencil.

What would the value be? 75 bucks cleaned up with decent snare wires?

Thanks,

Wes

Posted on 6 years ago

Wes,

Looks like a Pearl stencil to me but, I'm no expert at anything. Just looking at lugs and badge primarily. Relatively sure it's not a Star.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 6 years ago

From salty 1322

Wes, Looks like a Pearl stencil to me but, I'm no expert at anything. Just looking at lugs and badge primarily. Relatively sure it's not a Star. Brian

+1 with what Brian says. It is a stencil drum made by Pearl!

As to value, don't go by what you see on eBay from sellers, who are asking incredibly high prices. Most times, the drum doesn't sell. Just check sold listings to get an idea of what a comparable snare has sold for. My guess is that its valued at maybe $50...or less. But, you never know! It's a mad, mad, mad MIJ world out there!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Yup, MIJ snare. Cleaned up, in the $50.00 range. I wouldn't worry about doing a crazy, tear it apart, cleaning...just a good intact one.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm not looking to sell. As I have a bad case of hoarding drums, just ask my wife! I was just curious. I can't let anything go!

Wes

Posted on 6 years ago

From gunnellett

Thanks guys. I'm not looking to sell. As I have a bad case of hoarding drums, just ask my wife! I was just curious. I can't let anything go!Wes

I hear that lol. That's cool, neat little snare. Since you're going to keep it, it's worth putting some love into. One thing that can help MIJ snares sound better is treating the wood with something, lots of people use poly, hardens the shell, helps the drum project better. I've had good experiences with it. I've also used Danish Oil as well. This guy did an interesting video on it.

[ame]https://youtu.be/7tpNero1vu4[/ame]

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here