Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Crazy Ludwig Sparkle Stripe Finish- What is it?

OK guys. Anyone know anything about this finish? Name? Perhaps available in other colors?? Perhaps it may be one of your kits as I found this pic on one of the collection pages from LudwigDrummer.com

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/medeld/crazystripes.jpg[/IMG]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

I have seen that picture before also. That has to be some special order or employee fun day.

It was never in a catalog that I have ever seen, but you could special order different color combinations on request.

Also, from that photo I do not see any badges on the drums.

Each drum has the exact color lay out and then they are cut according to the drum dimension except for the smallest bongo they are all pretty accurate.

What a project and I can't imagine the time it took to do it.

Thanks for mentioning the site the photo was taken from.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Well ..... that is different ....... I can definately think of a name ...... MINE would be a good place to start ....... now will someone please buy it for me????? Laughing H I love that oddball stuff!!!!

Posted on 17 years ago

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]I too am all about the oddball stuff, and am deciding on the recover for my 70's 3 ply "Pro Beat" config (which I just learned of that config name thanks to our awesome administrator!)

My goal is to end up with the kit that I may have ordered in 1973 (had I not been only one year old of course.)

I noticed that Jack Lawton has a "Tangerine Sparkle" (different from the Tangerine Glitter from what I see on his site.) Has anyone seen this up close?? I am thinking about a sparkle version of the Tequila Sunrise colors (red, tangerine, and gold sparkles) or... after seeing this funky striped kit something of the like.

Anyone know of any crazy color combos that were ordered from the factory that way???[/SIZE][/FONT]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

This finish is described in The Ludwig Book by Rob Cook and says that the kit was a WFL kit made for a trade show and then were presented to Johnny Kirkwood who played with Louis Jordan at the time. Johnny's son John, now owns the kit...

Posted on 17 years ago

Talk about nailing it! I guess they never named the finish. Technicolor Yawn comes to mind.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Just an FYI on this one... As mentioned I had considered doing my 70's ProBeat kit in this finish. Jack Lawton referred me to Precision to do this job. We are looking at a $2000 refin given the intensive detail (I knew it would not be cheap) so it looks like a solid color sparkle or a tri-stripe for me.

I talked to Jack Lawton about other finishes that could have been ordered in 1973 when purchasing a Ludwig set, and he mentioned that he has seen tangering sparkle on 60's marching snares that were applied at the factory (in the shell seam) and from what I gather one could pretty much get any finish/wrap on a Ludwig if they really wanted it???

Anyone know of any really bizarre, not typically Ludwig finishes that came from the factory as a custom order (satin flames, Ludwig Standard finishes, glitter glass instead of sparkle???) [/SIZE][/FONT]

DAVID
DETROIT ROCK CITY
Posted on 17 years ago

Well folks, i'm so glad I found this thread! This is my first post...

I am not sure what to say other than I owned a similar drumset...they must have made more than one:

In 1988 I received for my 12th birthday a snare, 13" tom, and 22x12 bass drum (as well as a few cheap cymbals) as well as a black trunk full of misc. accessories including a wood block, cymbal arms and clamps etc...

The wrap matched this picture!

Unfortunately, since I was a kid the kit has gradually gone missing (high school bands rehearsing at friends' houses etc...) Now all I have is the bass drum.

I keep it at a studio where I do a lot of recording...if I remember correctly mine has a WFL/Ludwig badge.

Does anyone know any more info about this set and wrap?

Posted on 17 years ago

I think they made these for dealers so they could display all the color options for sparkles. I saw a vistalite tom like this once. Pretty cool stuff.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here